Newbie, what should I do, and how should I do it:-)?
Thread poster: John M Karlsson
John M Karlsson
John M Karlsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:39
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 25, 2016

Hey guys,

I have not worked much with Trados, usually run another software, but I am getting a bunch of new clients that ask for it.

I have this project file in front of me now that say,

Match
Words

95% - 99%
2 183

85% - 94%
2 197

No Match

So, I open the project in Trados, how do I make these things all 100% and what in the world knows that I am correct.

What does i
... See more
Hey guys,

I have not worked much with Trados, usually run another software, but I am getting a bunch of new clients that ask for it.

I have this project file in front of me now that say,

Match
Words

95% - 99%
2 183

85% - 94%
2 197

No Match

So, I open the project in Trados, how do I make these things all 100% and what in the world knows that I am correct.

What does it mean with 95% - 99% match?

And what is CT (context match) which some of those turned into after changes.

Sorry for probably obvious questions, just a new world for me.

Thanks for any help!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The risk of now actually knowing Trados May 25, 2016

I strongly recommend that you urgently take a course (online, or in person) in the use of Studio and CAT technology in general. Indeed, 99% of agencies use a CAT tool (SDL Studio is not the only or the best one), and your questions will answered once you get to know how to work with a CAT tool.

I am sure you have training centres in Latvia offering courses, or even a local university might have a summer course on CAT tools.

John M Karlsson
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 25, 2016

Was more wondering about the client expectations based on the less than 100% matches and not the actual functions of Trados. But all fine, I understood how to proceed.
Thank you anyway for the reply and best regards!

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
About that May 25, 2016

SystemWide wrote:

Was more wondering about the client expectations based on the less than 100% matches and not the actual functions of Trados. But all fine, I understood how to proceed.
Thank you anyway for the reply and best regards!

I guess the client expects you to adhere to existing terminology, so, if you get, say, a 75% match, Studio will highlight the different parts in red in the automatic lookup, and you should probably also check that other relevant terms don't already exist in both the TM and TB.

Unless those matches are internal matches, without a TM, in which case, I guess your only "constraints" would be common sense and consistency...

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
For Trados May 25, 2016

There are a lot of YouTube tutorials that are really good. You should watch them all. I did when I started out and they really helped.

Eileen

John M Karlsson
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mirko May 25, 2016

Yes, I noticed changes in the source with was the reason for making the segments unconfirmed. So I have to change an ! for a . in some places, rewrite a bit in others and translate the missing segments.

It was that match analysis I got that confused me. Not been handed a project-in-work before so got confused. But I actually can just ignore those match values.

It is a part of a large project so there is some TM file that do what you say. I see the fields and terms that
... See more
Yes, I noticed changes in the source with was the reason for making the segments unconfirmed. So I have to change an ! for a . in some places, rewrite a bit in others and translate the missing segments.

It was that match analysis I got that confused me. Not been handed a project-in-work before so got confused. But I actually can just ignore those match values.

It is a part of a large project so there is some TM file that do what you say. I see the fields and terms that should be used in most occasions.

Thanks!

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

I guess the client expects you to adhere to existing terminology, so, if you get, say, a 75% match, Studio will highlight the different parts in red in the automatic lookup, and you should probably also check that other relevant terms don't already exist in both the TM and TB.

Unless those matches are internal matches, without a TM, in which case, I guess your only "constraints" would be common sense and consistency...
Collapse

John M Karlsson
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Eileen May 25, 2016

Thanks! Was actually using Fluency, I like that software, but my clientele have shifted over the last months and most of my new ones have built their systems around Trados, so good tip! Will look around for some video tuts.

Eileen Cartoon wrote:

There are a lot of YouTube tutorials that are really good. You should watch them all. I did when I started out and they really helped.

Eileen

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
No problem May 25, 2016

SystemWide wrote:

It is a part of a large project so there is some TM file that do what you say. I see the fields and terms that should be used in most occasions.

Thanks!

As others have said, it takes time to get used to CAT tools... (and/or new tools)

Basically, use the matches you're presented with to do less work and keep consistency (unless the translation is obviously wrong, of course). If you get a 99% match, you'll probably have to just change things such as punctuation or capitalization, as in your example.

The overall analysis is basically used by agencies to reduce rates based on those "fuzzy bands", but you and the agency should already have agreed on that. Other than that, it can give you a basic idea of the workload you can expect. For instance, if you have 10k source words, but with 8k of 100% matches... well, your "real" work should be down to 2k

Good luck with your project

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Matches May 25, 2016

If you are new to Studio, I presume you are getting those matches from translation memory provided by your customer (you got a Studio package, very likely).

Should this be the case, you cannot ignore those matches and translate the segments from sctatch, as they contain terminology and style accepted by that specific end client. Just bear that in mind.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newbie, what should I do, and how should I do it:-)?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »