How is demand changing for translation of static content such as Word Documents and .PO files?
Thread poster: Carl Robinson
Carl Robinson
Carl Robinson
French to English
Apr 19, 2014

With the growth of dynamic content online from blogs and social media, more and more content is being translated via APIs through online translation services such as Gengo, Smartling and OneHourTranslation.

I'm interesting in finding out if the demand for static content such as Word documents and .PO files is increasing/decreasing, possibly as a result of this trend.

Has anyone noticed a change in the amount of work for static content translation work?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:26
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If only I knew Apr 19, 2014

what is meant by translation of static content...

PS It's interesting to note that exactly the same question (sic!) has been asked by (apparently) someone else on another portal...

Carl Robinson
Carl Robinson
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
not static, manual Apr 19, 2014

by static i actually mean 'manually submitted' content e.g. a Word file for a legal document, as opposed to content that is automatically submitted to an API by the CRM e.g. a blog post or tweet

and yes, I asked the same question on translator's cafe

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:26
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
There will always be a need for it Apr 19, 2014

I don't see that the increasing traffic on social media will reduce the need for what you call 'static' content.

I know you can't dismiss it all as "Twitter is for twits", but I believe that for a long time to come there will be a need for translation that is accurate and not necessarily instantly produced.

Instruction manuals for the increasingly complex technology our world depends on, for instance.

Product descriptions and declarations.

Legi
... See more
I don't see that the increasing traffic on social media will reduce the need for what you call 'static' content.

I know you can't dismiss it all as "Twitter is for twits", but I believe that for a long time to come there will be a need for translation that is accurate and not necessarily instantly produced.

Instruction manuals for the increasingly complex technology our world depends on, for instance.

Product descriptions and declarations.

Legislation

Contracts and agreements

Research protocols, records of all kinds ...

Just for starters.

All the documents that are NOT here today and forgotten tomorrow.
It's a different market.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:26
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks for the explanation! Apr 19, 2014

Carl Robinson wrote:

by static i actually mean 'manually submitted' content e.g. a Word file for a legal document, as opposed to content that is automatically submitted to an API by the CRM e.g. a blog post or tweet

and yes, I asked the same question on translator's cafe

As both questions were initally made under different names it made me wonder what was going on...

I do believe, like Christine, “that for a long time to come there will be a need for translation that is accurate and not necessarily instantly produced” and that there are plenty of customers out there who do care about the quality of the translations.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:26
French to English
+ ...
Conventional content is not going anywhere Apr 19, 2014

Even if blogs and social media made up the majority of content requiring translation (which I am sure it is not, and by far), they would mostly remain in the bottom segment of the market, which is slowly being conquered by machine translation. Conversely, high quality translations are not only much more expensive, but also not easily amenable to commoditization, and thus poorly suited to the online translation services in their current incarnation. One can certainly invent a new service to handl... See more
Even if blogs and social media made up the majority of content requiring translation (which I am sure it is not, and by far), they would mostly remain in the bottom segment of the market, which is slowly being conquered by machine translation. Conversely, high quality translations are not only much more expensive, but also not easily amenable to commoditization, and thus poorly suited to the online translation services in their current incarnation. One can certainly invent a new service to handle such translations through an online interface, but it does not mean these translations will become a commodity.

[Edited at 2014-04-19 19:39 GMT]
Collapse

Carl Robinson
Carl Robinson
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 20, 2014

Interesting comments, thanks. I asked the same question on Quora and the owner of one of these sites (OHT) replied:

https://www.quora.com/How-is-demand-changing-for-translation-of-static-content-such-as-Word-documents-and-PO-files

It's very encouraging to hear that demand for translation at all lev
... See more
Interesting comments, thanks. I asked the same question on Quora and the owner of one of these sites (OHT) replied:

https://www.quora.com/How-is-demand-changing-for-translation-of-static-content-such-as-Word-documents-and-PO-files

It's very encouraging to hear that demand for translation at all levels is increasing, and that these new technologies are creating new channels of work for translators, not taking from existing channels.

Are there any types of content / translation services for which there is a noticeable decrease in demand, or is it full speed ahead on all fronts?

Thanks,
Carl
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How is demand changing for translation of static content such as Word Documents and .PO files?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »