Compatibility WordFast Pro and Trados
Thread poster: IWagner
IWagner
IWagner  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:02
English to French
Nov 24, 2011

I used Wordfast Pro (on Mac) and one of my sub-contractor uses Trados. What is the best way for her to send me the translated file so I can open it and review/edit it in WF Pro?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:02
Finnish to French
TTX should work Nov 24, 2011

IWagner wrote:
I used Wordfast Pro (on Mac) and one of my sub-contractor uses Trados. What is the best way for her to send me the translated file so I can open it and review/edit it in WF Pro?

If she uses the old Trados, TTX (TagEditor) should work out of the box. However, it won't help you if she translated in Word: same situation as with Wordfast Classic, since WFP cannot open bilingual ("uncleaned") Word documents so that both source and target texts are imported.
If she uses the new Trados (Studio 2009/2011), you may be able to open bilingual SDLXLIFF files (Yasmin can tell you more about it).

IWagner
IWagner  Identity Verified
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Merci Dominique Nov 24, 2011

Nothing is ever simple!

I did a test.. Your suggestion (confirmed by Yasmin) works perfectly!

[Edited at 2011-11-24 19:54 GMT]

Evelyna Radoslavova
Evelyna Radoslavova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:02
English to French
+ ...
Opening SDLXLIFF files in Wordfast Pro Dec 20, 2011

Hi there,

I have been using Trados for almost 15 years, and I just installed Studio 2011 (my latest version was 2007). My regular editor uses Wordfast (Classic and Pro), and I am trying to find a way to keep working with him. Is there a way to exchange bilingual files between the two or should I drop Studio?

Thanks a million!

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
maybe possible with Wordfast Pro, easier with memoQ Dec 20, 2011

Evelyna Radoslavova wrote:
I have been using Trados for almost 15 years

You have my deepest sympathy, the main thing is that you haven't lost your sanity

Evelyna Radoslavova wrote:
and I just installed Studio 2011 (my latest version was 2007). My regular editor uses Wordfast (Classic and Pro), and I am trying to find a way to keep working with him. Is there a way to exchange bilingual files between the two or should I drop Studio?

It's a bit tricky, as Wf Pro doesn't support XLIFF out of the box in its current form. In principle, it should be possible, using an appropriate properties file. I tried that with a properties file prepared for me by Yasmin last Spring, but didn't manage (the entire content of the bilingual SDLXLIFF went into the source column).
So I ended up opening the translated SDLXLIFF in memoQ, which worked out of the box. That would be my recommendation for your editor, especially since memoQ4free (what you get when the 45-day trial expires) would be sufficient for this.

Here is a sample SDLXLIFF (in Studio 2009): http://screencast.com/t/m3JEQa1E

Here is the same SDLXLIFF as opened in memoQ: http://screencast.com/t/PEJ79yKN

And here is a report generated from both versions (original that came from Studio + version edited in memoQ) with ChangeTracker: http://screencast.com/t/oO5Vi4ZLy

ChangeTracker is a new freeware utility available at http://www.change-tracker.com/en/download.html
Looks very promising.

[Edited at 2011-12-21 00:19 GMT]

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:02
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
wordfast doesn't see sdlxliff Feb 4, 2013

I have worked with xliff files before - are there different types of xliff files?
I have the properties file and 'activated' it (edit -> filters etc) but Wordfast Pro doesn't see the files.
The file names are name.docx.sdlxliff
Is there a way I can open these (bilingual, for proofreading) files in Wordfast?

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
SDLXLIFF to MS Office converter Feb 4, 2013

Marjolein Snippe wrote:
I have worked with xliff files before - are there different types of xliff files?

The "X" in "XLIFF" is for "eXtensible". This means it is possible to add proprietary extensions to the basic standard. SDL heavily extended the basic XLIFF with their SDLXLIFF format. Wordfast Pro doesn't support the SDLXLIFF format.
Marjolein Snippe wrote:
Is there a way I can open these (bilingual, for proofreading) files in Wordfast?

If you are acting as the reviewer of bilingual documents translated by someone else in Studio, your best bet would be to ask your client to export the SDLXLIFF to an "external review". Studio includes a converter to that effect. For more information about it (and the similar function in other tools), see:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/09/03/export-to-bilingual-word-table-from-mainstream-cat-tools/

Christine Lee
Christine Lee
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Does anyone know if this has changed? Apr 12, 2016

Do newer versions of Wordfast support Trados 2015’s SDLXLIFF format?

Rodrigo Rosales Sosa
Rodrigo Rosales Sosa
Mexico
Local time: 07:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is it possible to convert TMX to TXML? Aug 20, 2016

My colleage (using Wordfast) and I (using Trados) were translating a document which we have already finished.

For TM unification purposes, I sent to her my TMX of the document, but she replied she needed a txml format in order to review the document. I find this a bit odd since, as far as i know, the TMX format is interchangeable between virtually every CAT tool available.

Is there a way to convert TMX to TXML? I've been doing some digging and haven't been able to find
... See more
My colleage (using Wordfast) and I (using Trados) were translating a document which we have already finished.

For TM unification purposes, I sent to her my TMX of the document, but she replied she needed a txml format in order to review the document. I find this a bit odd since, as far as i know, the TMX format is interchangeable between virtually every CAT tool available.

Is there a way to convert TMX to TXML? I've been doing some digging and haven't been able to find an answer to this question.

Any light shed on this would be inmmensely appreciated.

[Edited at 2016-08-20 02:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-08-20 02:45 GMT]
Collapse

Aelf
Aelf
Poland
Local time: 15:02
English to Polish
+ ...
TMX is OK Aug 23, 2016

With the TMX file that you sent her she should have no issues whatsoever to update the document she's been working on. Even if you merged or split the segments she should be able to leverage proper excerpts.

Simply put, she might not know how to import the TMX file. Ask her about it.

As to your question, I don't know if there's a tool for the conversion you're looking for.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility WordFast Pro and Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »