Importing previously translated word docs to create local TMs/glossaries in Wordfast Pro 3.4.3.
Thread poster: Sara Buzadzh (X)
Sara Buzadzh (X)
Sara Buzadzh (X)
United States
Local time: 10:26
Russian to English
Apr 22, 2015

Hi, I've tried searching for this, but am not sure it's possible/desirable...my rookie question is this:

I've just started using Wordfast Pro 3.4.3, my first CAT tool, and am wondering if there is a quick way to import previously completed translations to quickly create one or more good local TMs/glossaries.

So for example, say I have some previously translated company charters with a lot of standard clauses that I would like to have access to in a local TM/glossary. I
... See more
Hi, I've tried searching for this, but am not sure it's possible/desirable...my rookie question is this:

I've just started using Wordfast Pro 3.4.3, my first CAT tool, and am wondering if there is a quick way to import previously completed translations to quickly create one or more good local TMs/glossaries.

So for example, say I have some previously translated company charters with a lot of standard clauses that I would like to have access to in a local TM/glossary. I have the Russian original in .docx and the English translation in .docx. Any shortcut procedure to import them both into Wordfast so they'll go into a local TM, beyond starting a new project w/a Russian source file and copy-pasting the English translation in one segment at a time?

Sorry if this has already been covered!
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:26
Finnish to French
Alignment Apr 22, 2015

In order to obtain a TM from an existing source document and its translation, you need to use an aligner. Wordfast Pro includes an aligner of its own, but I wouldn't recommend it, as it's sub-par IMO.

I would suggest using either the Wordfast Online Aligner included with Wordfast Anywhere (create yourself a free account at www.freetm.com if you haven't got one), or LF Aligner.

I've made a
... See more
In order to obtain a TM from an existing source document and its translation, you need to use an aligner. Wordfast Pro includes an aligner of its own, but I wouldn't recommend it, as it's sub-par IMO.

I would suggest using either the Wordfast Online Aligner included with Wordfast Anywhere (create yourself a free account at www.freetm.com if you haven't got one), or LF Aligner.

I've made a couple of videos showing how to use LF Aligner on Windows and Mac:

Windows -> https://youtu.be/OtEQr0TawVA
Mac -> https://youtu.be/MzAdLrsJxms
Collapse

Sara Buzadzh (X)
Sara Buzadzh (X)
United States
Local time: 10:26
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Apr 27, 2015

Thanks, Dominique! Appreciate it, very helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing previously translated word docs to create local TMs/glossaries in Wordfast Pro 3.4.3.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »