Where/what is the WYSIWYG interface in WF Pro 4?
Thread poster: Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:30
German to English
May 3, 2016

Hi, maybe I have got the wrong end of the stick here, but I thought you could edit translations in WF Pro 4 as a proper text, not as a series of boxes. Have I misunderstood the meaning of "WYSIWYG interface", or just not worked out where it is?

(Using Windows 10.)

[Edited at 2016-05-03 13:28 GMT]

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
I think it means... May 3, 2016

You don't have to handle tags as much as before... you can directly bold/italicize etc. It will look bold etc in the target text instead of being surrounded by formatting tags.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What WYSIWIG means in CAT tools May 3, 2016

Anne Koth wrote:
I thought you could edit translations in WF Pro 4 as a proper text, not as a series of boxes. Have I misunderstood the meaning of "WYSIWYG interface"?

The only current CAT tools that offer WYSIWYG in the true, original sense of the word, are Wordfast Classic, Metatexis and Felix. Very old versions of Trados also offered it.

All other tools that claim to offer "WYSIWYG" actually mean that you can see the character formatting instead of tags, and that you can apply character formatting directly, i.e. bold text as bold, underlined text as underlined, etc... but it's still just boxes, and you can't see layout.

[Edited at 2016-05-03 14:35 GMT]

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ah, I see, thanks... May 3, 2016

I was hoping for a bit too much there

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Fluency and Transit May 3, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

The only current CAT tools that offer WYSIWYG in the true, original sense of the word, are Wordfast Classic, Metatexis and Felix. Very old versions of Trados also offered it.

I think this applies to Fluency and Transit (in its wysiwyg view) too. Transit can show tables, character formatting etc. And it can have a synced PDF of the source.

[Edited at 2016-05-03 15:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-05-03 15:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where/what is the WYSIWYG interface in WF Pro 4?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »