Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >
Please remove ChatGPT option from KudoZ (Staff: removed)
Thread poster: ibz
Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 15:08
Greek to English
Unofficial answer Sep 14, 2023

ibz wrote:
So could we get an "official" answer, please?

Good luck with that. How long can you hold your breath?

Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Michael Newton
Jennifer Levey
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:08
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Keep on trying Sep 14, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:

ibz wrote:
So could we get an "official" answer, please?

Good luck with that. How long can you hold your breath?

Die Hoffung stirbt zuletzt - as we say in German!
I (and many others) was already trying to get an answer in the original forum
(https://www2.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translator_coop/363412-introducing_ai_to_kudoz_human_expertise_and_ai_combined_in_support_of_the_most_helpful_answer.html)

Silence. Maybe we're ghosted

Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees
expressisverbis
Alison MacG
Lingua 5B
Jennifer Levey

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Real reason Sep 14, 2023

ibz wrote:
As long as Proz staff keep silent, we won't know about the real reasons behind the implementation of this feature.

Lucia said "The possibility of generating KudoZ answers using AI technology [is] a supporting feature. It has a complementary role." She also said "There is no commercial agreement between ProZ.com and OpenAI (ChatGPT)." What else are you wondering about? Do you want them to say specifically "we vow that this feature is not for such and such purposes"? If so, tell us what purposes they should vow that it is not meant for? Lucia's answer seems clear: AI answers complement KudoZ, i.e. it is an additional feature in KudoZ that might be useful to askers who choose to make use of it. The world is not out to get you. (-:

Lieven Malaise

Emily Gilby
Emily Gilby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:08
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
ITD Sep 14, 2023

About half of the seminars for International Translation Day this year are on the subject of AI. ITD is usually an event I enjoy, but I think I'll give it a miss this year...

Barbara Carrara
JaneD

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Sep 14, 2023

Hi Samuel,
I don't have the impression that the world is out to get me - no worries

I just wonder why ProZ is ignoring the responses of the great majority of its (paying) members. It's supposed to be a website for professional translators and I honestly can't see any use of ChatGPT in KudoZ. Can you?

expressisverbis
Zea_Mays
Barbara Carrara
Alison MacG
Tanja Oresnik
Laurent Di Raimondo
P.L.F. Persio

Philip Lees
Greece
Greek to English
Possible reason Sep 14, 2023

Until we hear another official explanation, I'll stick with my original idea:

Or was it just an idea somebody came up with one night at the pub, and everyone thought it sounded cool?

expressisverbis
Zea_Mays
Barbara Carrara
Laurent Di Raimondo
P.L.F. Persio
Daryo
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
There are smart ways to use AI Sep 14, 2023

and its use in Kudoz is not smart.
Kudoz is a place where personal interactions and discussions occur. It is a social, community building place.
A bot (= a dead machine) is an alien element there.

Perhaps Philippe is right, some people are "too old" to understand how AI can be used effectively.
GPT is a versatile tool but it is NOT specifically intended for translation,
while here it is used like a (rather bad) machine translation tool.
Implementing D
... See more
Kudoz is a place where personal interactions and discussions occur. It is a social, community building place.

Perhaps Philippe is right, some people are "too old" to understand how AI can be used effectively.
Implementing DeepL would have been way more effective for that purpose.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-09-14 08:55 GMT]
Collapse

Alison MacG
Michael Newton
Tom in London
Laurent Di Raimondo
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees
expressisverbis

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:08
Japanese to English
+ ...
ChapGPT from KudoZ Sep 14, 2023

Proz.com staff always keep shtum on the embarrassing issues just as they keep redeeming agencies that they have seemingly "banned". Maybe at some point, proz.com staff will be replaced by AI.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes but it's NEW Sep 14, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

Yes but it's NEW and it's TECHNOLOGY so there's no way you're going to stop this because it's SO EXCITING and we don't want to be out of the loop.

Now that I've finished coughing: if Proz seriously want to innovate and attract new members, I suggest there are about a million other more useful things they could do. Beginning with redesigning this website from the bottom up. It looks stale and uninteresting.

[Edited at 2023-09-14 10:49 GMT]

JaneD

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
He he Sep 14, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:

Until we hear another official explanation, I'll stick with my original idea:

Or was it just an idea somebody came up with one night at the pub, and everyone thought it sounded cool?

Have you ever heard of partnerships and link building? Very profitable $$$

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Indeed Sep 14, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

Implementing DeepL would have been way more effective for that purpose.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-09-14 08:55 GMT]

At least in my language pair, when I compare GT and ChatGPT output, GT is significantly better.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
AI and web design Sep 14, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

... if Proz seriously want to innovate and attract new members, I suggest there are about a million other more useful things they could do. Beginning with redesigning this website from the bottom up. It looks stale and uninteresting.

Chat GPT could be used to do that. Would be a smart and effective way of using it.
Edit: Bard is even better for this purpose, as it has access to the web.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-09-14 09:52 GMT]

Philip Lees
Greece
Greek to English
Irony Sep 15, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Beginning with redesigning this website from the bottom up. It looks stale and uninteresting.

and then

Zea_Mays wrote:

Chat GPT could be used to do that. Would be a smart and effective way of using it.

Tom and Zea, it's good to see that irony is still flourishing among the translation community. Well done, both.

expressisverbis
ibz
Jennifer Levey

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Translation contests Sep 15, 2023

I can often see human translators being invited to select the best entry for translation contests on ProZ. Can’t AI/GPT help with that, given ultimate praises and credits it received? It has unlimited powers, and it’s been given its place on ProZ, so it can select the best entry for every single language pair.

Christopher Schröder
Zea_Mays
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Liviu-Lee Roth

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Do it for the sake of translation Sep 15, 2023

One of the things I like about our profession is being able to create with words.
Yesterday, I was translating a culinary text that contained many idioms and creative expressions such as "How are you bean?", "Don't be a crabby!", "Beets me", "Where's the meat?"... and many more.
It was very challenging for me, but at the same time being creative it's something I really love and enjoy.
Out of curiosity, I asked ChatGPT (not in the Terminology Help) to offer me some translation
... See more
One of the things I like about our profession is being able to create with words.
Yesterday, I was translating a culinary text that contained many idioms and creative expressions such as "How are you bean?", "Don't be a crabby!", "Beets me", "Where's the meat?"... and many more.
It was very challenging for me, but at the same time being creative it's something I really love and enjoy.
Out of curiosity, I asked ChatGPT (not in the Terminology Help) to offer me some translations of these expressions and the result was terrible. I'm not surprised! I just wanted to "test" it.
I received comical, nonsensical answers...
A machine doesn't have a brain to think.
Being put on the same level as as ChatGPT is not only against what I'm mentioning here, but also against the very essence of translation - transfer of meanings, transmission of knowledge, and expression of cultural heritages.
Once again, for this reason, I kindly ask ProZ to bear this in mind. ChatGPT integration doesn't work at all and offers solutions that fall well short of what is expected.
AI or ChatGPT can't do what a human does. It generates absurd translations and fails to understand meanings, feelings, cultures and even linguistic disciplines such as phonetics.
Also it is susceptible to bias, confuses the users/members and is not able to empathize and understand emotions.
If it is not for us, translators who bring your site to life, do it for the sake of translation: please remove ChatGPT from KudoZ.
Collapse

ibz
Zea_Mays
Philip Lees
Alison MacG
Jennifer Levey
Becca Resnik
Jocelyne Cuenin

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please remove ChatGPT option from KudoZ (Staff: removed)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »