Exporting Smartcat file to Trados
Thread poster: ddcl
ddcl
ddcl
Israel
Nov 1, 2019

I was wondering if this is possible to export a Smartcat file to Trados.

I'm seeking a way to download the target document for review in the original layout. In Trados this is available and pretty simple. However, Smartcat is giving a very hard time. How to resolve these matters?

Thanks

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
  Nov 1, 2019

To my knowledge, no CAT tool can export an external project to the original file format. You need to use the original tool to export the final target file.

However, with Smartcat, you can export a bilingual document (XLIFF), translate it in you preferred CAT tool and upload it back to Smartcat.

Have you read the documentat
... See more
To my knowledge, no CAT tool can export an external project to the original file format. You need to use the original tool to export the final target file.

However, with Smartcat, you can export a bilingual document (XLIFF), translate it in you preferred CAT tool and upload it back to Smartcat.

Have you read the documentation https://help.smartcat.ai/hc/en-us/categories/115000235031-CAT-tool ?

https://help.smartcat.ai/hc/en-us/articles/360000240072-Export-XLIFF-from-Smartcat

https://help.smartcat.ai/hc/en-us/articles/115003578451-XLIFF-export-Best-practices

Jean
Collapse

ddcl
ddcl
Israel
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 1, 2019

Thanks.
Actually, Trados is doing this PERFECTLY! it saves a lot of time, and extremely convenient.
I'm seeking a solution for hours now (not to mention that there is no support from smartcat and they are not responding to Tickets).
I did search smartcat education center and tutorials, but nothing helped.

Do you have a tutorial for Indesign, something that will help me actually see something there, I need Hebrew and English.

Also, could you refer me t
... See more
Thanks.
Actually, Trados is doing this PERFECTLY! it saves a lot of time, and extremely convenient.
I'm seeking a solution for hours now (not to mention that there is no support from smartcat and they are not responding to Tickets).
I did search smartcat education center and tutorials, but nothing helped.

Do you have a tutorial for Indesign, something that will help me actually see something there, I need Hebrew and English.

Also, could you refer me to an explenation about the % and stats in Smartcat?
Repetitions & cross-file repetitions
Total words
Weighted words
Collapse

ddcl
ddcl
Israel
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Nov 1, 2019

By the way, do you know if this is possible to "save as" a file in Trados, work on it Offline via Word, and then apply all the changes on the Trados consol file?

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
  Nov 1, 2019

I don't use InDesign and can't help with that.

If you search for "statistics" in the first link I gave you - https://help.smartcat.ai/hc/en-us/categories/115000235031-CAT-tool - you should find two articles explaining statistics in Smartcat. For example, there is a definition of what are Cross-file repetitions.

For "weighted words" or "Weighted
... See more
I don't use InDesign and can't help with that.

If you search for "statistics" in the first link I gave you - https://help.smartcat.ai/hc/en-us/categories/115000235031-CAT-tool - you should find two articles explaining statistics in Smartcat. For example, there is a definition of what are Cross-file repetitions.

For "weighted words" or "Weighted word count", you can find wnat what this means online, since it's a general term and not something specific to Smartcat.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@DDCL Nov 1, 2019

ddcl wrote:
1. Trados is doing this PERFECTLY! it saves a lot of time, and extremely convenient.
2. Do you have a tutorial for Indesign... ?

These two statements seem to conflict. You're saying that you have previously been able to export InDesign files from Trados (and it was useful to you for proofreading), but then you ask for a tutorial on InDesign. Or, do you mean that you've been able to export *other* file formats from Trados succesfully in the past, but not InDesign files?

What is the file extension of the InDesign file that Smartling is exporting? How do you know it's an InDesign file?

ddcl
ddcl
Israel
TOPIC STARTER
Clerification Nov 1, 2019

Well, I export Docx from Trados (Save as...) and it gives the same format as the original.

While d/l from smartcat, the file is .indm - which is not open in my software (some Font issues or smth).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@DDCL Nov 1, 2019

ddcl wrote:
Well, I export Docx from Trados (Save as...) and it gives the same format as the original.
While d/l from Smartcat, the file is .indm - which is not open in my software (some Font issues or smth).

If Trados exports a DOCX file with the correct layout, then it means that the original file is a formatted DOCX file. If Smartcat exports INDM because the original file is INDM, then that is the correct behaviour. Neither Smartcat nor Trados is going to create a formatted DOCX file if the original file isn't a formatted DOCX file.

This page says that you can (sometimes) download the original file and the translation in the original format:
https://help.smartcat.ai/hc/en-us/articles/115002150271-Downloading-the-translation
(Not all options may be available, depending on the way your client set it up.)

By the way, I've never heard of the file type INDM, so my guess is that it is not an InDesign file after all. If you try to open a file in InDesign that isn't an InDesign file, then it makes sense that InDesign will give you error messages.

In addition, some translatable DTP files are export files themselves, and require that you have the original original source file available.

I was wondering if this is possible to export a Smartcat file to Trados. I'm seeking a way to download the target document for review in the original layout. In Trados this is available and pretty simple. However, Smartcat is giving a very hard time.

Even if you do manage to download a file from Smartcat that Trados can open, Trados will not create a formatted file from it. Trados will simply create a file in the same format as you put into Trados originally. So if the file on Smartcat is some weird DTP file, and you put that into Trados, then Trados will only be able to export it in the same weird format (not as a DOCX file).

I suggest you explain to the client that you want to proofread the file in its original layout, and ask them e.g. what file format it is in, what program you need for it, etc. Perhaps they can give you an answer that is useful, or perhaps they can generate the current state of your translation for you in the original format, so that you can see what it looks like.

By the way, do you know if this is possible to "save as" a file in Trados, work on it Offline via Word, and then apply all the changes on the Trados consol file?

Yes, there is a feature called "Retrofit":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbt_A-UADRU
...but this only works for certain file types.

Alternatively, the "bilingual review" feature creates a DOCX file with a table in it (so it doesn't contain the original layout). The feature often works.
https://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/07/26/efer-ad/

Jorge Payan

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Exporting Smartcat file to Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »