Lara Barnett
Lara Barnett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:26
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 7, 2020

I am not very used to CAT tools, and am trying to teach myself to use them through Smartcat. I have been trying to import a very short TM in an excel file, which is supported by Smartcat according to its Help section.
I have been uploading my xlsl file through "update TM", which is suggested in the Help section. The error message points to my source language settings, which I have checked several times but they seem correct. I provide a screenshot showing my little test glossary. I h
... See more
I am not very used to CAT tools, and am trying to teach myself to use them through Smartcat. I have been trying to import a very short TM in an excel file, which is supported by Smartcat according to its Help section.
I have been uploading my xlsl file through "update TM", which is suggested in the Help section. The error message points to my source language settings, which I have checked several times but they seem correct. I provide a screenshot showing my little test glossary. I have Italian(source) in the first column and English(target) in the second, just as I have entered in my settings, but still getting these error logs.

1213228_r5e3d54a3df49c
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:26
English to Russian
Column headers Feb 8, 2020

Option 1
1. Remove line 1 that contains the words 'Source' and 'Target'
2. Replace 'It' with 'it Term1' OR 'it-it Term1' if applicable (it depends on the language you chose when you created your empty glossary)
3. Replace 'Eng' with 'en Term1' OR 'en-gb Term1', or 'en-US Term1' if applicable (it depends on the language you chose when you created your empty glossary)
The column headers are not case-sensitive. Both EN-GB TERM1 and en-gB tErM1 will give same effect. The stru
... See more
Option 1
2. Replace 'It' with 'it Term1' OR 'it-it Term1' if applicable (it depends on the language you chose when you created your empty glossary)
3. Replace 'Eng' with 'en Term1' OR 'en-gb Term1', or 'en-US Term1' if applicable (it depends on the language you chose when you created your empty glossary)
The column headers are not case-sensitive. Both EN-GB TERM1 and en-gB tErM1 will give same effect. The structure matters: it must be [language_code Term1]

Option 2
Also, you can create a glossary with one or two terms directly in SmartCAT and then download it. This will give you a sample structured spreadsheet. Paste your terms into that spreadsheet (columns F and G, I suppose) and upload it back.

[Edited at 2020-02-08 12:57 GMT]
Collapse

Lamine Boukabour

Lara Barnett
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Term Feb 10, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

Option 1
The column headers are not case-sensitive. Both EN-GB TERM1 and en-gB tErM1 will give same effect. The structure matters: it must be [language_code Term1]

Option 2
Also, you can create a glossary with one or two terms directly in SmartCAT and then download it. This will give you a sample structured spreadsheet. Paste your terms into that spreadsheet (columns F and G, I suppose) and upload it back.

[Edited at 2020-02-08 12:57 GMT]

Lara Barnett
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation Memory Feb 10, 2020

[quote]Stepan Konev wrote:

Option 1

This has now uploaded, but I did not use "Term 1!, but simply put language codes. What exactly is the purpose of Term 1?

Also, with regard to adding the suggested translation or a pre-translation (ctrl 1), do the translation memory terms take priority here, or is there a way to select one or the other?

Thanks.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:26
English to Russian
TM v. TB Feb 10, 2020

Lara Barnett wrote:
What exactly is the purpose of Term 1?

This is what they (SmartCAT developers) suggest on their Help page here: https://help.smartcat.ai/hc/en-us/articles/360029093531-Importing-existing-glossaries
At step 3, you get a spreadsheet with column '2-letter_langcode Term1'.

Actually, I first suggested that you just change 'Eng' with 'en' (language code as per ISO list of supported languages here: https://smartcat.ai/Home/Languages). However, when I tried to reproduce your file and upload it with correct language codes, I failed.
Then I tried what the Help page suggested and it worked fine for me. That was why I completely changed my reply to what it reads now.

What regards your second question, I am not sure I understand it correctly, but let me try...
Translation memory (TM) and glossary (aka termbase, TB) are two different concepts. TM suggests whole sentences, commonly referred to as translation units or segments, while TB suggests single words or phrases referred to as terms. The pre-translation process uses TM for its purposes. When you press Ctrl+number, you can select entries regardless of their type, be that TM or TB entries. When Smartcat pretranslates, it uses TM only.

Nelly Daou
Nelly Daou
Canada
French to English
+ ...
THANK YOU! Sep 28, 2023

This thread saved my life tonight and I just wanted to say thank you for posting this!!!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Smartcat Error for import XLSL file

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »