Thread poster: Fep
Fep
Fep
Local time: 06:52
German to French
+ ...
Mar 31, 2015

Good afternoon,

(I hope this is not a double post, but my first one seems to have disappreared).

I am testing across 6.0 to see if we are going to buy it. Since I have the trial version I was not granted a login to access to support (yet?)

We have about 3700 entries to Import in crossTerm (exported from Multiterm).

I made an import (XML file, adding the multiterm database Definition).
I defined all the fields that should be in our termino
... See more
Good afternoon,

(I hope this is not a double post, but my first one seems to have disappreared).

I am testing across 6.0 to see if we are going to buy it. Since I have the trial version I was not granted a login to access to support (yet?)

We have about 3700 entries to Import in crossTerm (exported from Multiterm).

I made an import (XML file, adding the multiterm database Definition).
I defined all the fields that should be in our terminology entries in the crossTerm Settings and made the linking as asked between MultiTerm data category and Accros data category.

I have the following problems :

1) crossTerm Manager seems to be able to support only three languages.

We have entries with german, french, english and italian terms. But crossTerm only Show three languages. The only way I found to avoid losing the italian Terms was to tell across that italian = english (US). This is not satisfying.

2) although I have defined all the entry fields in the crossTerm Settings and layout, I cannot get rid of the (inadequate) default fields, and have the fields that I defined in the crossTerm settings.

The fields at term level (grammar, notes relevant to the term only, indication of regional use) NEVER appear, either while consulting an entry or while editing/creating an entry.
The fields at entry level that are text-only appear and can be edited.
The fields at entry level that are picklist appear when consulting an entry but never when editing/creating.

Any help about these problems (or indication where I could find some help would be appreciated).
Does anybody manage terminology in four languages, with entries that are not structured like the default entries?
For now crossTerm is not usable for us, but I would like to be convinced otherwise...
Collapse

Liselotte K. de Hennig
Liselotte K. de Hennig  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:52
Spanish to German
+ ...
How to migrate from Multiterm to Crossterm Mar 31, 2015

Hi,
perhaps this is of some help: http://www.across.net/online-help/v60/across/data/acrossSchritte45.htm.
Even though it says "Schritte" at the end it is in English.

Regards
Liselotte

[Bearbeitet am 2015-03-31 18:17 GMT]

Fep
Fep
Local time: 06:52
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Apr 2, 2015

I only obtain a 404 error with this link.
But thanks for the answer anyway.

I was at it yesterday and I found some of my answers in the step-by-step manual (is it what you were linking to?). I guess it will be a long time to learn to use all the functions of this program...

One things baffles me...
Why does the search in crossterm in the target language ?
When I translate I look up the terms in the source language (to find how to say it in the target l
... See more
I only obtain a 404 error with this link.
But thanks for the answer anyway.

I was at it yesterday and I found some of my answers in the step-by-step manual (is it what you were linking to?). I guess it will be a long time to learn to use all the functions of this program...

One things baffles me...
Why does the search in crossterm in the target language ?
When I translate I look up the terms in the source language (to find how to say it in the target language).

Not that it is important since I can choose the option "all languages", but it is still weird...
Collapse

Liselotte K. de Hennig
Liselotte K. de Hennig  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:52
Spanish to German
+ ...
Sorry Apr 6, 2015

The link should not include the last period. It is just http://www.across.net/online-help/v60/across/data/acrossSchritte45.htm

I am not sure if I understand the question correctly.

If you want to look up a word in the crossTerm entering it below the crossTerm window, the search will be carried out in the source language by default. But you c
... See more
The link should not include the last period. It is just http://www.across.net/online-help/v60/across/data/acrossSchritte45.htm

I am not sure if I understand the question correctly.

If you want to look up a word in the crossTerm entering it below the crossTerm window, the search will be carried out in the source language by default. But you can also change the languages clicking on the flags below the crossTerm window.

If you want to look up a word in the crossTank (concordance search in the Translation Memory) make sure that you selected the word only in the source text. If there is any word selected in the Target Editor, this target word will be looked up the crossTank.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import from MultiTerm to Across: missing fields

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »