Releasing source texts to public databases
Thread poster: mntranslations
mntranslations
mntranslations
Oman
Arabic to English
Apr 15, 2014

I am new in the field and am considering downloading MemoQ. Reading through one of their installation guides, it says, "By accessing public databases to find terms or already translated sentences, you are sending them the text you are translating." And later on: "Please note that machine translation engines release source text to machine translation providers." While it sounds wonderful that there are public databases for translated phrases, I am wondering if there are any copyright problems inv... See more
I am new in the field and am considering downloading MemoQ. Reading through one of their installation guides, it says, "By accessing public databases to find terms or already translated sentences, you are sending them the text you are translating." And later on: "Please note that machine translation engines release source text to machine translation providers." While it sounds wonderful that there are public databases for translated phrases, I am wondering if there are any copyright problems involved, particularly if you were working on a text that had not yet been published/copyrighted. Thanks.Collapse

Copyright is not the only problem Apr 16, 2014

IMHO, the copyright issue is not the main problem, but the non-disclosure agreement you usually have to sign with your customer.
By sending source text to a mt engine, you may provide the mt provider with your customer's internal information. In a worst case scenario, this internal information then might be analyzed and provided to anyone...

mntranslations
mntranslations
Oman
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 17, 2014

Thank you for your helpful response.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Releasing source texts to public databases

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »