Thread poster: Katy62
Katy62
Katy62
Local time: 22:02
English to German
+ ...
Sep 24, 2003

Hello,
I am considering applying for a 50% job as an employee to better my meager income as a freelance translator.
I am situated in Switzerland and would be a subtitler for hard-of-hearing programs, i.e. no translation is involved, just subtitling the German. I have been working as a freelance subtitler (translating) and would like to know what I can charge (in Switzerland)
Can anybody give my a clue. Even if it is rates in other countries.
Thanks

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:32
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
One rough thumb rule Sep 26, 2003

I am sure there are better solutions than the one I am proposing here. Sometime back I was asked to come and work in the office of an e-publisher for identifying the foreign language portions and help the staff by telling them what it is all about. Not strictly a full-fledged translation. I quoted him my hourly rate for interpreting/ translation carried out at the client's premises. The reasoning is simple. You are basically a translator. You know how many words you can translate per hour. Multi... See more
I am sure there are better solutions than the one I am proposing here. Sometime back I was asked to come and work in the office of an e-publisher for identifying the foreign language portions and help the staff by telling them what it is all about. Not strictly a full-fledged translation. I quoted him my hourly rate for interpreting/ translation carried out at the client's premises. The reasoning is simple. You are basically a translator. You know how many words you can translate per hour. Multiply this with your word rate and there you are. This is what you can generate in an hour and you are fully entitled to demand it. In fact I went one step further. I told the client that if he just wanted me to work as a typist of texts in a foreign language, the rate will be as described by me.
One piece of advice. Never let the client know that you are desperate to earn some extra money. Otherwise he will browbeat you into accepting a rock bottom price. Good luck.
Regards,
Narasimhan Raghavan
Collapse

Katy62
Katy62
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But I will be working as an employee Sep 26, 2003

[quote]Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

I am sure there are better solutions than the one I am proposing here. Sometime back I was asked to come and work in the office of an e-publisher for identifying the foreign language portions and help the staff by telling them what it is all about. Not strictly a full-fledged translation. I quoted him my hourly rate for interpreting/ translation carried out at the client's premises. The reasoning is simple. You are basically a translator. You know how many words you can translate per hour. Multiply this with your word rate and there you are. This is what you can generate in an hour and you are fully entitled to demand it. In fact I went one step further. I told the client that if he just wanted me to work as a typist of texts in a foreign language, the rate will be as described by me.
One piece of advice. Never let the client know that you are desperate to earn some extra money. Otherwise he will browbeat you into accepting a rock bottom price. Good luck.
Regards,
Narasimhan Raghavan

Thank you Narasimhan,
that is good information.
However, the "problem" is that I will be working as an employee (with all the benefits - whatever they may be!?) and not as a freelancer.

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
This too can be worked out Sep 26, 2003

If you can get at the hidden benefits, you can work out your annual earnings after factoring everything in. This should be your basis for the salary. Another point is the minimum salary offered by your employer to an employee doing a job at a similar level. You will usually be in the middle-management cadre. One more thing. Make sure that there is no employment clause prohibiting freelance practice. If such things exist, ask for a suitable non-practising allowance.

Katy62
Katy62
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ah, good one... Sep 26, 2003

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

If you can get at the hidden benefits, you can work out your annual earnings after factoring everything in. This should be your basis for the salary. Another point is the minimum salary offered by your employer to an employee doing a job at a similar level. You will usually be in the middle-management cadre. One more thing. Make sure that there is no employment clause prohibiting freelance practice. If such things exist, ask for a suitable non-practising allowance.

Yes, I will need to read about any possible clauses prohibiting freelancing.
Thanks
Katy

varun94109
varun94109
India
Progress Sep 25, 2016

Katy62 wrote:

Hello,
I am considering applying for a 50% job as an employee to better my meager income as a freelance translator.
I am situated in Switzerland and would be a subtitler for hard-of-hearing programs, i.e. no translation is involved, just subtitling the German. I have been working as a freelance subtitler (translating) and would like to know what I can charge (in Switzerland)
Can anybody give my a clue. Even if it is rates in other countries.
Thanks

Hi it's been more than a decade but I wish to know how is the career for a subtitler? Are you still working as one? What is the career ladder?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Salary for new job as subtitler

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »