Thread poster: davidfw1866
davidfw1866
davidfw1866  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:57
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Apr 16, 2014

A Portuguese translation company is asking me to provide a fiscal residence certificate from the USA
to avoid double taxation.
What IRS form do I need for this?

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Form-6166 Apr 16, 2014

davidfw1866 wrote:

A Portuguese translation company is asking me to provide a fiscal residence certificate from the USA
to avoid double taxation.
What IRS form do I need for this?

Google is our friend...
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Form-6166---Certification-of-U.S.-Tax-Residency
Bear in mind:
- The certificate is country-specific (even if it is probably identical), so you need to check the countries you need it for (where the requesting client is located) on the application form. If you have more than one client in a particular country that needs it, list the number of copies you need.
- You get a certain number of certificates for the same application fee (I think 20 or 25), so you might as well take advantage of that and request for them any countries you anticipate needing it for.
- It does take some time for the IRS to process, IME ca. 6 weeks, but may be sooner. It is possible to get the department that deals with them on the phone if you have questions.

davidfw1866
davidfw1866  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 16, 2014

Thank you, Rudolf.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:57
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mod. 21-RFI Apr 17, 2014

One of my clients in Portugal also asks for a fiscal residence certificate every year and what I deliver is this: http://info.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/NR/rdonlyres/EE6BB24B-AC10-4A7E-A724-96A1CC04789C/0/rfi-21%20(2008).pdf

Lara Barnett
Lara Barnett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:57
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Certificate of Fiscal Residence UK Jul 14, 2015

I have a client in Portugal asking for this certificate. I have found the online application form on the HMRC website but some of the questions seem a bit irrelevant to me in the light of freelance earnings. Anyway, the HMRC is impossible to get through to and I do not know what to enter in some of the boxes. My main issues are with the two questions:

"Please enter below the Article of the countries Double Taxation Agreement (DTA) under which your request regarding this incom
... See more
I have a client in Portugal asking for this certificate. I have found the online application form on the HMRC website but some of the questions seem a bit irrelevant to me in the light of freelance earnings. Anyway, the HMRC is impossible to get through to and I do not know what to enter in some of the boxes. My main issues are with the two questions:

"Please enter below the Article of the countries Double Taxation Agreement (DTA) under which your request regarding this income is being made."

"Do the Subject To Tax provisions apply to this foreign income?"

Has anybody in UK done this form?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

fiscal residence certificate

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »