Ilham Ahmadov
Ilham Ahmadov  Identity Verified
Azerbaijan
Local time: 05:09
English to Azerbaijani
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 8, 2016

Thank you for your precious comments. Unfortunately, she is in Italy and I am in Azerbaijan so the actions you are suggesting (calling a debt collector or filing a complaing with court) are not feasible.

Ilham
Sheila Wilson wrote:

Ilham Ahmadov wrote:
My question to you is have you ever faced a client or a translation agency who has no knowledge and expertise in your native language and who is completely from a different field, proofread your work with a dictionary and then slander you that your work was not up to their standards.

I doubt there are many of us here who haven't had that happen. It certainly happens often with into-English translations as almost everyone can understand the target text enough to know that it doesn't contain a literal translation of each word, nor are words in the same order; but not enough - apparently - to know that there certainly should NOT be such a close correspondence.
Immediately I wrote back a heated responce

That was a shame and is probably why your client has stopped communicating with you. The cooling-off period Christine mentions is vitally important.
my second question is what can I do about this situation to punish them and get the money? I will post a negative entry on Blue Board for sure, but I doubt if they care, but what are the other avenues available to restore the justice?

I'm like you in that I really don't like to see clients getting away with non-payment for such unfounded reasons. I'm prepared to spend a certain amount of time and a even a little money to ensure that I get my rightful payment. Mind you, there have to be limits and you do have to know when to turn the page and write the debt off. Having said that, the only times I've ever lost any money in nearly 20 years of freelancing (apart from €12.50 that I once told the client to forget) is when clients have filed for bankruptcy and so can't pay. I've always managed to get payment from "won't pay" clients.

I personally would send the client a final reminder written in very formal terms (if in English, Google for "final demand"). Not by email but on paper, sent by registered post to their company's registered address, which should be the one on the invoice. That will cost you little in time or money. No need to explain anything; just refer to the invoice that is now overdue and state what action you will take if full payment has not been received by a certain date. That action will presumably be to call in a debt recovery company or to initiate a claim through the courts. The first is only likely to happen if the sum involved is big enough to interest a company - i.e. unlikely in this case. The feasibility of the second depends on where your client is and what's available. If you're both in Azerbaijan, maybe there's a small claims court that costs very little? Just providing evidence of having contacted them may prove enough to convince the client to pay. It may not be worth your while taking it any further.

Pavitra Baxi
Pavitra Baxi  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:39
Member (2008)
German to English
Similar situation Feb 9, 2016

Hi there!

Been there, done that!

I've received ridiculous comments from proofreaders and justification for their shoddy work too. Almost always I've provided justification for my work and left it at that. I am really tempted to believe that some agencies are doing this on purpose to pay the proofreader, since proofreaders charge less, and pay nothing to the translator.

Working again with such a client is a complete no-no. Also, if the company/client is list
... See more
Hi there!

Been there, done that!

I've received ridiculous comments from proofreaders and justification for their shoddy work too. Almost always I've provided justification for my work and left it at that. I am really tempted to believe that some agencies are doing this on purpose to pay the proofreader, since proofreaders charge less, and pay nothing to the translator.

Working again with such a client is a complete no-no. Also, if the company/client is listed in the Blueboard, you will see similar complaints from other translators.

Trust your work.
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:09
English to Polish
+ ...
A lot of great advice from Christine Feb 9, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote: (...)

I just wanted to add that showing one or two disqualifying errors gives you more legitimacy when you decide not to give them a point-by-point answer.

As regards face-saving measures, I'd be careful lest you allow the client to form a convenient image of you as being less competent than you really are. A bit more than personal vanity (which is quite expendable at the end of the day) is at stake where rules of the art and objective knowledge are involved.

And brevity. Be brief. Just not too dismissively short with them, but brief. The more words you use, the easier it's going for them to pretend you're having a serious discussion when in fact you're not. Even to a judge in court the sheer quantity of correspondence can make it look like a bona fide controversy as opposed to a more clear-cut non-payment issue. That is something you don't want to happen. Neither do you want to give them the opportunity to claim the higher ground by retorting in a calmer voice and with fewer words than you replied.

Still, it's probably worth mentioning that according to some research I've read about in a marketing book for lawyers clients can be more satisfied after having their issues resolved fairly than if they had had no issues at all. You could perhaps make a strong impression by pointing out the rookie proofreader's mistakes in a sparing way and supplying one or two favourable opinions, without charging them for it. After that sort of thing a lot of PMS could become more motivated to work with you.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading by someone who has no expertise

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »