Project Manager salary
Thread poster: Travis Gower
Travis Gower
Travis Gower
United States
Local time: 03:35
Spanish to English
Jul 2, 2007

I know this topic has been posted before, because I found it on Google. However, the thread was fairly old and only partly helpful.

What salary range might a Spanish Project Manager for an international translation company (based in US, working in US) expect to start at? BA in Spanish Translation, two and a half years experience as freelance translator, two years living in Spanish-speaking country... any thoughts?

Those outside of the US are, of course, more than welco
... See more
I know this topic has been posted before, because I found it on Google. However, the thread was fairly old and only partly helpful.

What salary range might a Spanish Project Manager for an international translation company (based in US, working in US) expect to start at? BA in Spanish Translation, two and a half years experience as freelance translator, two years living in Spanish-speaking country... any thoughts?

Those outside of the US are, of course, more than welcome to answer. Nothing a little currency exchange rate can't solve.

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:35
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Probably around 50,000 Jul 2, 2007

It really depends on various factors, including where the office is based (probably higher salaries on both coasts, but also a higher cost of living), but for a PM position, you might expect something around $ 50,000 or so.

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:35
In Ireland... Jul 2, 2007

In Dublin, I could expect to get €45-55K.
Project assistants/linguists are paid around €25-30K.

Mark Berelekhis
Mark Berelekhis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:35
Russian to English
+ ...
My take on it Jul 3, 2007

I was offered a position of Russian Project Manager in a fairly big agency in New York, and their highest offer was in the low 40s.

That's New York, not the cheapest place to live by far. So, chances are, you'll make significantly more if you continue to freelance (and you'll enjoy the various other benefits of freelancing to boot).

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:35
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Salaries can vary a lot, depending on the actual job description Jul 3, 2007

Travis Gower wrote:

A PM salary can vary a lot depending on the professional competence, experience and responsibility assigned to them.

I have seen in my past that some so called "project managers" were in fact nothing more than low ranking administrative staff, with little expertise, little capacity to run a project, and not trusted to take decisions of any sort regarding their work.
Their salary was proportional to their task and even inferior to the salary paid to a good translator.

At the other end of the scale, I've seen and appreciated "real managers", whose projects were extremely demanding in terms of technical knowledge, number of internal and external staff to coordinate, project volumes were running into millions of words, with tight deadlines, very strict time and budget constraints, etc.
Sometimes these PM were managing several projects at once, and preparing quotes for future projects, including accurate estimates for the time and all costs involved. They usually report directly to the agency directors and work with a great deal of independence.
Their salary was many times more than the salary of a translator, and it was fully deserved!!

Just to jot down some figures, we are talking of salaries around 20-25K EUR for the first type described above (admin staff) and 60-80K EUR and over for the latter case, plus benefits and bonuses directly linked to their performance and to the economic result of their projects.

What I wanted to say is that it is difficult to quote a single figure without knowing the job description and the personal capabilities required in a specific PM position.

Travis Gower wrote:
Those outside of the US are, of course, more than welcome to answer. Nothing a little currency exchange rate can't solve.

Salaries can vary a lot in different countries. A currency conversion is not necessarily a good indicator, when converting a salary from a country to another country with a totally different economic reality.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2007-07-03 08:35]

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:35
Gianfranco is right Jul 3, 2007

...It really depends on the scope of the role.

I find this thread quite interesting as I am applying for a number of PM roles myself at the moment. Some of them are "glorified emailers", just forwarding files from client to translator and back again. For example, I was offered a PM role for a mere €30K here last week (It is not bad, but I actually earn more than that as a freelancer!) and that exactly what I would have been doing, just emailing people all day. No linguistic invol
... See more
...It really depends on the scope of the role.

I find this thread quite interesting as I am applying for a number of PM roles myself at the moment. Some of them are "glorified emailers", just forwarding files from client to translator and back again. For example, I was offered a PM role for a mere €30K here last week (It is not bad, but I actually earn more than that as a freelancer!) and that exactly what I would have been doing, just emailing people all day. No linguistic involvement at all. (and why should I take a pay cut?)

I have my eye on a PM role that is a lot meatier. I get to prepare translation kits and TMs, travel and meet clients, prepare budgets and quotes, assign translators and get a lot of free rein. And the money isn't bad either

[Edited at 2007-07-03 09:20]
Collapse

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 13:35
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
before taxes or after taxes? Jul 6, 2007

Are the indicated amounts the PM may expect to receive are already "after taxes" (i.e. received "into the hands")?

CELER PAWLOWSKY
CELER PAWLOWSKY
Spain
Local time: 12:35
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
work during weekends! Nov 26, 2010

Mark Berelekhis wrote:

I was offered a position of Russian Project Manager in a fairly big agency in New York, and their highest offer was in the low 40s.

That's New York, not the cheapest place to live by far. So, chances are, you'll make significantly more if you continue to freelance (and you'll enjoy the various other benefits of freelancing to boot).

And what about the work during weekends? Does anybody know how is that paid in the US? by hour? is that common for the translation and localization companies?

Hala Magdy
Hala Magdy  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
English>Arabic translation project managers Aug 1, 2014

Celer Pawlowsky wrote:

Mark Berelekhis wrote:

And what about the work during weekends? Does anybody know how is that paid in the US? by hour? is that common for the translation and localization companies?

Yes, I want to know this, and to know also what is the range for English>Arabic translation project managers for a company based in New York, USA (a full time job from home).

Hala Magdy
Hala Magdy  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
English>Arabic translation project managers Aug 1, 2014

I want to know the monthly salary for English>Arabic translation project managers (full time from home) for a company based in New York. And also for the work during weekends.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Project Manager salary

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »