Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:10
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IP Aug 28, 2014

I have just checked their IP and they are located in London.

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Building Aug 28, 2014

I have just checked the building on Google Maps (as of the web) and there is a building in the same number with same logo than in the web (Street View). Well, they seem legit. What bothers me the most is changing our profession from time to time into detectives.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:10
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
A freelancer is a one-person company Aug 28, 2014

Susana E. Cano Méndez wrote:

What bothers me the most is changing our profession from time to time into detectives.

Hi Susana, risk management is part of the role description of a freelance translator.
Regards,
Enrique

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2014-08-28 16:16 GMT]

Adrian MM. (X)
Adrian MM. (X)
French to English
+ ...
Have the premises reconnoitred by someone Aug 28, 2014

Thayenga wrote:

Hello Susanna,

what strikes me as odd is, why would a potential client start an email to you (or any LSP) by apologizing for... well, yes, for a request for a quote on a possible job?

It is part of the contagious English culture adopted by non-Brits to apologise and keep saying sorry, even for non-offences like holding open the door for work colleagues. One line in a UK TV play 40 years ago was: 'you can't go through life apologising'. However, hypocritically, when someone in England gets thumped, is racially abused or knocked over on the street, no apology is forthcoming.

That apart, Susana, although good advice has already been given, my own strategy is indeed detective work and have the purported office visited. Nine times out of ten, the advertiser will not be expecting a visit.

Object lesson: when I incidentally used to work in Madrid, my UK law firm sent me round - as a trainee - to spy on a rival City of London 'Magic Circle' firm of Solicitors that boasted a new base in Spain and check out the prestigious penthouse address. I searched the building high and low, then eventually found the door: it was a broom cupboard!

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right Aug 29, 2014

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

Susana E. Cano Méndez wrote:

What bothers me the most is changing our profession from time to time into detectives.

Hi Susana, risk management is part of the role description of a freelance translator.
Regards,
Enrique

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2014-08-28 16:16 GMT]

Yes, you're right, Enrique.

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea Aug 29, 2014

Tom Thumb wrote:

That apart, Susana, although good advice has already been given, my own strategy is indeed detective work and have the purported office visited. Nine times out of ten, the advertiser will not be expecting a visit.

Object lesson: when I incidentally used to work in Madrid, my UK law firm sent me round - as a trainee - to spy on a rival City of London 'Magic Circle' firm of Solicitors that boasted a new base in Spain and check out the prestigious penthouse address. I searched the building high and low, then eventually found the door: it was a broom cupboard!

LOL. Good idea, indeed! Thanks, Tom.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does this look like a scam?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »