Lost in translation: New book explores mistranslation in Korean literature

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Lost in translation: New book explores mistranslation in Korean literature".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Ana Lourenço
Ana Lourenço  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Lost in translation: Mistranslation in Korean literature Apr 19, 2014

Very interessting topic.

[Edited at 2014-04-19 23:54 GMT]

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:48
Russian to English
+ ...
I personally would not pay too much attention Apr 20, 2014

to this article. It has too many flaws. Countries don't get Nobel Prizes in literature--writers do (there is nothing collective about it--like hockey). The author himself does not know much about translation (or perhaps the author of the article in the paper did not understand his book). He is speaking about some translation theories which did not specify whether literary works should be translated "word-by-word" or "literally." How do you translate literature literally? He is also speaking abo... See more
to this article. It has too many flaws. Countries don't get Nobel Prizes in literature--writers do (there is nothing collective about it--like hockey). The author himself does not know much about translation (or perhaps the author of the article in the paper did not understand his book). He is speaking about some translation theories which did not specify whether literary works should be translated "word-by-word" or "literally." How do you translate literature literally? He is also speaking about some cooperation between various associations--what does that have to do with translation of literary works? Each author has to choose the best translators for their books, perhaps with some help of other writers who speak the target language--it has nothing to do with any associations. Then, the author of the book usually makes sure that their books are translated the way they want them be translated, by the right people. As the books by the authors who are not around anymore--there should be good editors at the publishing houses who can tell the value of a translation--many can't, especially in some countries--they have no clue about translation, even if they deal with them, and many don't speak any extra languages well, other than their mother tongue. (Some may not even speak this one too well.)

A very interesting read, though.

Self-translation--no I would not recommend it--perhaps assistance to the translator and cooperation. even if you are totally bilingual, or trilingual, I don't think it is such a good idea. I personally don't like Nabokov's translations at all--but this may be just my taste, although I love some of his works--especially his earlier works--in Russian.

[Edited at 2014-04-20 09:02 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost in translation: New book explores mistranslation in Korean literature

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »