Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 23:31
Romanian to English
+ ...
... therefore, nobody should translate any of Trump's speeches Jul 29, 2016

Angela Rimmer wrote:

In any case it highly unlikely that a translator would find themselves working on a text that would reveal an outright crime, so this is all hypothetical anyway. The more likely scenario is that a translator finds themselves working on a text that goes against their own personal ethics but is not necessarily illegal -- though it may be a grey area where one isn't sure if it qualifies as hate speech or something, for example, which is illegal in many countries. In that case, I stand by my own personal conviction that one has to be responsible for what one does -- your personal integrity is worth more than money, and anyway there is enough other work out there to thrive in business without accepting questionable texts. And if there is any question about the legality of the text, yes, I do think a translator should protect themselves by seeking advice as to whether or not they should continue working on it.

....because they qualify as hate speech, promote bigotry, xenophobia etc.

[Edited at 2016-07-30 02:26 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ethical Question

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »