Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 19:42
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Oct 21, 2010

One of the reasons I bought the Pro-licence, is that I wanted to be able to deal with InDesign files in some way other than using the program InDesign itself. Now a client has sent me a folder with InDesign files, not in the usual INX-format, but instead INDD.
Wordfast pro tells me this is a not supported format.

Can I translate these files in Wordfast Pro? Is there a way to work around the file format, or do I have to sit down again with the dreaded InDesign and no TM-suppo
... See more
One of the reasons I bought the Pro-licence, is that I wanted to be able to deal with InDesign files in some way other than using the program InDesign itself. Now a client has sent me a folder with InDesign files, not in the usual INX-format, but instead INDD.
Wordfast pro tells me this is a not supported format.

Can I translate these files in Wordfast Pro? Is there a way to work around the file format, or do I have to sit down again with the dreaded InDesign and no TM-support?

[Edited at 2010-10-21 13:48 GMT]
Collapse

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nobody has a clue? Oct 21, 2010

?

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 20:42
English to Arabic
INX Oct 21, 2010

Hege Jakobsen Lepri wrote:
Now a client has sent me a folder with InDesign files, not in the usual INX-format, but instead INDD.

Dear Hege,

Currently WFP supports only INX files (and the final output PDF). So, you need to ask your client to export the file as INX to be able to translate in Wordfast Pro.

The support of the INDD format is being investigated for future releases.

Again, if you like me to have a look at the INDD for creating a manual filter, you can send it to me to the following email address, but this would not be so safe.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just a thought Oct 21, 2010

Hi

I don't know anything about Indesign so ythis might be a stupid idead but can't you open the INDD file and then save it as INX, use Wordfast to translate and then open again in Indesign and save as a INDD?

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
This doesn't work Oct 22, 2010

Alex Lago wrote:
INDD file and then save it as INX, use Wordfast to translate and then open again in Indesign and save as a INDD?

InDesign CS5 can only save as INDD. (and PDF, but this doesn't help very much). I am afraid that for the moment the only way is to translate directly in InDesign (and/or copy paragraphes into Word, translate them and then copying them back).

Fernando Larrazabal
Fernando Larrazabal
Japan
Local time: 02:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
IDML Oct 22, 2010

InDesign CS5 can also export into IDML.
Unfortunately, I tried to open and IDML and it seems it is also not supported by WFP.

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
The file please Oct 31, 2010

Fernando Larrazabal wrote:

InDesign CS5 can also export into IDML.
Unfortunately, I tried to open and IDML and it seems it is also not supported by WFP.

Dear Fernando,

Could you please send me this IDML file in private to:

support [at] wordfast.com

Many thanks in advance,
Yasmin

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Partly solved Nov 2, 2010

I haven't been able to use the INDD-file directly in Wordfast- nor export to INX, but I used the option "export to PDF", and the PDF-files imported into Wordfast Pro without problems, so that's what I've been using. (And since the client was supposed to provide me with a lower version of Indesign, and failed to do so - She accepted delivery in a different format)

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
INDD / INX / IDML Nov 20, 2010

Hi,

INDD (INDesignDocument) is the default file format of InDesign. This is a binary file format and cannot be translated in any available translation memory system at the moment (and it's unlikely it will ever be supported, because there are open exchange formats available with INX and IDML). Also INDD cannot be opened in any other software than InDesign.

INX (INdesign eXchange) is a complete representation of an InDesign Document based on Single-File-XML. INX is a ver
... See more
Hi,

INDD (INDesignDocument) is the default file format of InDesign. This is a binary file format and cannot be translated in any available translation memory system at the moment (and it's unlikely it will ever be supported, because there are open exchange formats available with INX and IDML). Also INDD cannot be opened in any other software than InDesign.

INX (INdesign eXchange) is a complete representation of an InDesign Document based on Single-File-XML. INX is a very complex xml flavour with quite some obstacles for processing. INX is supported only in InDesign CS to CS4. In CS4 INX support was regarded as deprecated and provided only for CS3 downward compatibility. INX export support was dropped completely with CS5 (while you can still open INX files in CS5).

IDML (InDesign Markup Language) was introduced in CS4 (back in 2008!) as the new exchange format. At the same time INX was announced as end of life. IDML is a zip based UCF container providing easy to read and process xml. Very well documented and eay to process it should be really no magic to implement IDML-Support into a TMS.

In CS5 there is only IDML Export available; INX is no longer available at all. You should have profound knowlege of InDesign if you plan to save down CS5 via IDML to CS4 and from there to CS3-INX, as this might result in heavy loss of information (to give just two examples: Column-straddling paragraphs were introduced in CS5 and will be lost when saving down CS5 to CS4; Conditional text was introduced in CS4 and will be lost when saving down CS4 to CS3). You should be able to check CS4 and CS5 files for possible backward compatibilities and decide which conversion/exchange path has to be choosen.
As far as I know, SDL Trados Studio 2009 is currently the only TMS shipping with IDML support out of the box.

Besides, producing a PDF from the InDesign document and translating the PDF might have been okay here, but I always suggest to get a written confirmation from the client in such cases, that this (unnecessary) alternative approach is really okay. Actually this approach will produce (depending on document size: massive) extra costs, as the client will have to copy and paste your translations back to the InDesign Document. This can be unexpected on client side and create terrible, time and money consuming extra efforts.
Due to the missing IDML Support in Wordfast pro up to 2.4.0.1, the solution path would have been here: From CS5 export as IDML, open the IDML in CS4 and export from CS4 to INX. Translate the INX in WFP, open the translated INX in CS5 and save as INDD.

Cheers,
Stefan Gentz, tracom.de

[Bearbeitet am 2010-11-21 16:13 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2010-11-21 16:14 GMT]
Collapse

Stefan Stefanov

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
INX / INDD Nov 21, 2010

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for this very interesting information. I am afraid that lots of translators who are working with Wordfast (2.4.0.1, for the moment) deliver InDesign files without looking to the end result, because they don't own Indesign. In some respects Wordfast made it too easy to deliver intermediate, unchecked and maybe incorrect results. On the other hand we all prefer formats which haven't been locked and which can be treated in one way or another, preferably with a CAT.
... See more
Hi Stefan,

Thank you for this very interesting information. I am afraid that lots of translators who are working with Wordfast (2.4.0.1, for the moment) deliver InDesign files without looking to the end result, because they don't own Indesign. In some respects Wordfast made it too easy to deliver intermediate, unchecked and maybe incorrect results. On the other hand we all prefer formats which haven't been locked and which can be treated in one way or another, preferably with a CAT.

I am looking forward to the new versions of Wordfast and hope that conversion of INDD will be included in the development strategy, and will then upgrade from CS4 to CS5.
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
Yes, IDML Nov 22, 2010

Stefan Gentz wrote:

IDML (InDesign Markup Language) was introduced in CS4 (back in 2008!) as the new exchange format. At the same time INX was announced as end of life. IDML is a zip based UCF container providing easy to read and process xml. Very well documented and eay to process it should be really no magic to implement IDML-Support into a TMS.

In CS5 there is only IDML Export available; INX is no longer available at all.

Dear All,

Stefan is right! Sorry for the confusion in my first reply. What I wanted to mention was actually the IDML support which will be available in the next version of Wordfast Pro due very soon.

Many thanks for your invaluable feedback!

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Iwona Szymaniak
Iwona Szymaniak  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Present status Mar 2, 2012

And how does the situation look like now? Is IDML supporte by WFPro?

Iwona

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Mar 3, 2012

[Edited at 2012-03-03 06:24 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
IDML is supported Mar 3, 2012

IwonaASzymaniak wrote:
And how does the situation look like now? Is IDML supporte by WFPro?

Yes, version 2.4.4 of Wordfast Pro supports IDML.

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
WFP now can open IDML files. Mar 3, 2012

IwonaASzymaniak wrote:

Is IDML supported by WFPro?

Dear Iwona,

Please download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

Open your IDML file (File menu > Open File), and try that yourself to see if it is suitable to your needs.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro 2.4.0.1 and Indesign files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »