Thread poster: Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:12
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Dec 6, 2019

With Christmas holidays approaching, I receive inquires from agencies, asking me to update my availability. They write me smth like "Dear partner, please log in to our vendor management system and update your availibility".

I have dozens of these messages now. I ignore these, considering it a waste of time. I mean, if they have to offer me a task - they should go and do it. I will consider the offer. Why should I pay my limited time to... to gain what?

Do you receive su
... See more
With Christmas holidays approaching, I receive inquires from agencies, asking me to update my availability. They write me smth like "Dear partner, please log in to our vendor management system and update your availibility".

I have dozens of these messages now. I ignore these, considering it a waste of time. I mean, if they have to offer me a task - they should go and do it. I will consider the offer. Why should I pay my limited time to... to gain what?

Do you receive such inquiries? Ho do you react?
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
philgoddard

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If you have no time... Dec 6, 2019

Nikolay Novitskiy wrote:
I have had dozens of these messages now. I ignore these, considering it a waste of time.

If you have so much to do that you have no time to update your availability, then that's good. I tend to reply to such requests. You never know when their usual translator might be unavailable on a day that you are available.

Jorge Payan
Sabrina Bruna
Sheila Wilson
Josephine Cassar
mk_lab
A. & S. Witte
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:12
English to Russian
Availability is just one of the criteria used in the vendor/translator selection process by agencies Dec 6, 2019

The agency's translation management system (TMS) checks automatically if you are available at this particular moment. In the absence of clear indication that you are available, the system will ignore you and move to the next vendor on the list.

Thayenga
Sabrina Bruna
Sheila Wilson
Josephine Cassar
Diana Coada (X)

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It depends Dec 6, 2019

You should choose those agencies that send you regular work and are good business partners in every way.

The agencies you're not happy with, just ignore their email.

IMO if they were truly interested in your services, they should address you personally and not send out mass mails. This might imply that they "have" too many translators.

Nikolay Novitskiy
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Josephine Cassar
philgoddard
Elena Aclasto
Eleonora_P
Christine Andersen

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:12
English to Thai
+ ...
Mass communication Dec 7, 2019

The agency means to indicate that it has many contacts to handle in an automated and electronic way. You can ignore this since your update is unlikely to be carefully read by the agency.

Nikolay Novitskiy

mariealpilles
mariealpilles  Identity Verified
France
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
Updating your availability Dec 7, 2019

I never do because for them, it is just red tape, i.e. ticking boxes. There are some agencies that do that every single Week but never send you any work. So what is the point? If they want to contact you to send you work, it is time enough for them to find out whether you are available or not.

Nikolay Novitskiy

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Dec 7, 2019

If I'm going to be strictly unavailable at any point, for example if we're visiting my in-laws who live in a country with dodgy Internet connection, significant time difference and astronomically expensive roaming fees, I'll fill that in.

I prefer to remain flexible the rest of the time. I'll probably say I'm not available for a press release about an airline adding two more destinations to their Christmas offer, but if a dream job comes in from one of my favourite clients I'm not
... See more
If I'm going to be strictly unavailable at any point, for example if we're visiting my in-laws who live in a country with dodgy Internet connection, significant time difference and astronomically expensive roaming fees, I'll fill that in.

I prefer to remain flexible the rest of the time. I'll probably say I'm not available for a press release about an airline adding two more destinations to their Christmas offer, but if a dream job comes in from one of my favourite clients I'm not turning it down, especially if I can get it done before the rest of the family even get up.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies asking to update your availability

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »