Autor de la hebra: María Alejandra Funes
María Alejandra Funes
María Alejandra Funes
Local time: 14:44
inglés al español
+ ...
Sep 15, 2003

Hi!

I am really tired of getting unsolicited mail and would like to report it. Where can I do it?

All suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you

ALE

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Alemania
Local time: 19:44
inglés al alemán
+ ...
Forget it Sep 15, 2003

Hi María,
I'm really sorry, but the realistic answer is: forget it.

To report a spammer, you would need to (i) have conclusive proof of the source of the message (note that most senders addresses have usually been "spoofed", i.e. falsified; this also includes the IP information given), (ii) find out the person behind that source and (iii) take legal steps to stop that person from doing it.

If you respond to spam with a complaint, that will only tell the spammer t
... See more
Hi María,
I'm really sorry, but the realistic answer is: forget it.

To report a spammer, you would need to (i) have conclusive proof of the source of the message (note that most senders addresses have usually been "spoofed", i.e. falsified; this also includes the IP information given), (ii) find out the person behind that source and (iii) take legal steps to stop that person from doing it.

If you respond to spam with a complaint, that will only tell the spammer that your address is genuine and "live". Guess what the reaction will be... Exactly. More spam.

I get between 200 and 350 messages on a normal business day, about 50-70 of which are spam. Takes me about 15-20 minutes total to click'em away. A chore, of course, but certainly not worth any hassle. (Note that I don't use antispam software, having come close to deleting a major job because the sender's address looked like spam, but turned out to be from a major bank...)

Cheers, Ralf
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
México
Local time: 11:44
francés al español
+ ...
Pourriels... Sep 15, 2003

Oye, María, aquí en ProZ ya habían sugerido
www.donotcall.gov
Inténtalo por ahí. Yo no he podido inscribirme por oscuras razones: siempre me rechaza mi prefijo telefónico de México... no entiendo.
En fin, por favor, si tienes más suerte que yo, AVÍSANOS A TODOS.
Juan.

Diogo Santos
Diogo Santos
Local time: 18:44
inglés al portugués
+ ...
Hotmail Sep 15, 2003

I have an hotmail account and I hardly get spam and when I receive it I can block the sender to send me anything else, Hotmail also has it's own spam filter and we can level it from standard (the obvious spam is blocked) to exclusive (we only receive e-mails whose sender is in our own Contact List).

Cheers,
Diogo Santos

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 12:44
inglés al español
+ ...
The registry is only for phone numbers in the U.S. Sep 16, 2003

Juan Jacob wrote:
Oye, María, aquí en ProZ ya habían sugerido
www.donotcall.gov
Inténtalo por ahí. Yo no he podido inscribirme por oscuras razones: siempre me rechaza mi prefijo telefónico de México... no entiendo.
En fin, por favor, si tienes más suerte que yo, AVÍSANOS A TODOS.
Juan.

Juan Jacob, as far as I know, only U.S. phone numbers may be registered through this initiative. All the same, wonderful news!

Anyway, I believe María Alejandra was referring to unsolicited e-mails... I hardly ever receive a piece of spam, unfortunately I have no idea what it is I am doing right! I have never used a free e-mail provider, maybe that is one important clue. My current ISP seems to have excellent filters in place, both against spam and against viruses. Unfortunately, it only offers dial-up service in the United States.

I agree with Ralf one should never reply to these e-mails to request being taken out of the list, as this would only multiply the amount of spam received.

We shall overcome

Cheers,

Susana Galilea
www.accentonspanish.com

[Edited at 2003-09-16 06:02]

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
flamenco al inglés
+ ...
Eventually Spam will disappear Sep 16, 2003

Spammers are not very clever people.
Spam is meant to sell you something and it does exactly the opposite : "Create a feeling of disgust". It is trash one has to learn to live with.
It may die out by itself because it is not effective.
My ISP allows me to go to its server and clean out the garbage, the socalled (microsoft) patches, the virusses...
The ISP has a spam filter, but as soon as it was installed spammers changed their policy and send mails with fake names.... See more
Spammers are not very clever people.
Spam is meant to sell you something and it does exactly the opposite : "Create a feeling of disgust". It is trash one has to learn to live with.
It may die out by itself because it is not effective.
My ISP allows me to go to its server and clean out the garbage, the socalled (microsoft) patches, the virusses...
The ISP has a spam filter, but as soon as it was installed spammers changed their policy and send mails with fake names.
Result: the spam filter does not work any longer.

[Edited at 2003-09-16 07:53]

[Edited at 2003-09-16 07:55]
Collapse

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
Francia
francés al inglés
+ ...
Like Ralph, I put up with it Sep 16, 2003

I put up with spam for the same reasons as Ralph, although I don't receive nearly as much as he does. Many potential clients contact me initially by unsolicited e-mail, so there's no way I want to block unknown addresses.

I'm on a dial-up connection and those that annoy me most are the heavy HTML ones and those trying to sell me a domain name for $15.

However, there is a problem at the moment sending e-mails from Tiscali addresses in France to UK AOL addresses. It ap
... See more
I put up with spam for the same reasons as Ralph, although I don't receive nearly as much as he does. Many potential clients contact me initially by unsolicited e-mail, so there's no way I want to block unknown addresses.

I'm on a dial-up connection and those that annoy me most are the heavy HTML ones and those trying to sell me a domain name for $15.

However, there is a problem at the moment sending e-mails from Tiscali addresses in France to UK AOL addresses. It appears that AOL is refusing e-mails from Tiscali on anti-spam grounds.

I rarely received spam before I had a website and registered with several online directories, so I think the spammers just trawl the Web for addresses.
Collapse

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
Reino Unido
finlandés al inglés
Preview pane Sep 16, 2003

I disable the preview pane when I go into the Internet to pick up mail (every day I get apout 50-60 spams). This way you can block delete them by select/delete and that saves a lot of time. You can also 'block sender' on spams and they go straight into 'deleted items'. This means it takes me just a few seconds to get rid of all this rubbish. One day it will stop, as someone said, but then we'll have something else - alien invasions, global drought, David Beckham as the British Prime Minister.

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Noruega
Miembro 2002
inglés al noruego
+ ...
Mailwasher-free as well Sep 16, 2003

[quote]Lesley Clayton wrote:
I'm on a dial-up connection and those that annoy me most are the heavy HTML ones and those trying to sell me a domain name for $15.[quote]

I use www.mailwasher.net ('My Favourite Spam Fighter' - Steve Bass, PC WORLD)

Very nice to have, especially when using a dial up connection, since you can delete spam (that will be marked) directly from the server.

Another trick: Code your HTML at your website to avoid robots that browse "mailto:". Coding can be done here:

http://www.wbwip.com/wbw/emailencoder.html

I use this trick, and I use one email address only at my web site. So far I have only received one or two spam message sent directly to this email adress. Not bad, considering that I have had this email address on my web site for over six months...!

Good luck against spamming.

Mailwasher is also available in a Pro version supporting hotmail. They also plan to include a report function for spam, but this service will cost extra.

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
Francia
francés al inglés
+ ...
emailencoder Sep 16, 2003

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

Another trick: Code your HTML at your website to avoid robots that browse "mailto:". Coding can be done here:

http://www.wbwip.com/wbw/emailencoder.html

I use this trick, and I use one email address only at my web site. So far I have only received one or two spam message sent directly to this email adress. Not bad, considering that I have had this email address on my web site for over six months...!

Ivan,
Thank you so much for this tip - it looks so simple that I think even I will be able to manage it. I'll give it a try.

María Alejandra Funes
María Alejandra Funes
Local time: 14:44
inglés al español
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Thank you Sep 17, 2003

Thank you very much for your tips and comments!

Now I have to try some of them... And, as Susana said, we shall overcome

Regards,

ALE

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 13:44
inglés al español
+ ...
Some suggestions Sep 17, 2003

You might want to try Spam Assasin:

http://au.spamassassin.org/index.html

Works like a charm.

Alternatively, you might want to set up a different address for work-related issues. My work e-mail address has received no spam at all for years now.

I als
... See more
You might want to try Spam Assasin:

http://au.spamassassin.org/index.html

Works like a charm.

Alternatively, you might want to set up a different address for work-related issues. My work e-mail address has received no spam at all for years now.

I also use MagicMail http://www.geeba.org/magic/ to look at messages on the server before downloading.

Plus, I use a separate e-mail address for mail groups and other Yahoo type lists. I use The Bat! to download those messages and have it set up to delete without downloading any and all messages with attachments, which gets rid of HTML.

BTW, I disagree with those who say you have to suffer spam. It's just a matter of using the right tools.

[Edited at 2003-09-17 20:56]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SPAM: Where can I report it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »