Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:46
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 3, 2022

Today, I noticed something bizarre: the indication "This outsourcer has been banned..." in the BB of an agency with plenty of "5s" in 2022. At first, I didn't understand what was going on until I clicked on "Show all entries" and saw that between 2007 and 2010 things were disastrous and they had a profusion of "1s".

I've never worked with this agency, but it seems to me that:

1. To avoid any manipulations, when an agency is banned from advertising jobs it should not b
... See more
Today, I noticed something bizarre: the indication "This outsourcer has been banned..." in the BB of an agency with plenty of "5s" in 2022. At first, I didn't understand what was going on until I clicked on "Show all entries" and saw that between 2007 and 2010 things were disastrous and they had a profusion of "1s".

I've never worked with this agency, but it seems to me that:

1. To avoid any manipulations, when an agency is banned from advertising jobs it should not be possible to make entries until the situation is resolved;
2. When this happens, that indication should be removed, leaving, however, an indication that the agency was banned for a while, but is no longer so.

What do you think?

Teresa

P.S. Please feel free to move this post as I'm not entirely sure where it will fit in...
Collapse

Morano El-Kholy
Josephine Cassar
Peter Shortall
Marina Taffetani
Mariana Pereira
Dalia Nour
Angie Garbarino

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:46
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Teresa Sep 3, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:
To avoid any manipulations, when an agency is banned from advertising jobs it should not be possible to make entries until the situation is resolved;

Disabling entries isn't going to prevent manipulation. And it's going to be difficult for ProZ.com's staff to know when "the situation is resolved". And I'd rather allow more people to share their views about the agency, regardless of its job posting privileges.

Walter Landesman
Werner Fritz
Marwa Seleem

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Sep 3, 2022

I can’t name names, so I will not, but the fact is that this particular agency has 14 positive comments in 2022 and still has the famous banner “This outsourcer has been banned from…”. Isn’t this rather misleading? Just saying…

Josephine Cassar
Dalia Nour

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
from posting jobs? Sep 3, 2022

They are banned from posting jobs, however I believe they can still contact people directly through directory. Once they contact them and they arrange a job, the translators can still leave them reviews. Perhaps they behaved better in 2022.

I agree it’s misleading. The banned warning is not always very noticeable either.

Josephine Cassar

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:46
Japanese to English
+ ...
Outsourcer banned Sep 4, 2022

Time after time I see outsourcers with a sea of "1s" on their BlueBoard entries and they are still allowed to post jobs.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Sep 4, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

Time after time I see outsourcers with a sea of "1s" on their BlueBoard entries and they are still allowed to post jobs.

Is there a logical explanation why some seem to keep on posting jobs despite their sea of "1s" and others are in the opposite boat? I'd appreciate if Proz staff could enlighten us or look at these situations…

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
LWA vs. ban Sep 4, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:
Is there a logical explanation why some seem to keep on posting jobs despite their sea of "1s" and others are in the opposite boat? I'd appreciate if Proz staff could enlighten us or look at these situations…

Scores of 1 by themselves don't lead to a ban. It's failing to pay our invoices that does.

On the other hand, I am not completely sure if being banned means a lot. My second biggest client, a big multinational agency, has been banned for several years but has always paid my invoices in full (sometimes a few days late, but a single reminder was always sufficient).

Christine Andersen
Thomas Pfann

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It's a rough sea Sep 4, 2022

I have seen agencies that were really great to work with suddenly - or gradually - go downhill or become bad payers.

Others have gone through a rough patch, or started with unrealistic ideas, whatever. Then they listen to translators, understand the real world better, and improve. I have not seen many myself, but I have seen stories like that in translator networks. It happens regularly.

What if a ban from posting applied for a maximum, say of three or five years, and t
... See more
I have seen agencies that were really great to work with suddenly - or gradually - go downhill or become bad payers.

Others have gone through a rough patch, or started with unrealistic ideas, whatever. Then they listen to translators, understand the real world better, and improve. I have not seen many myself, but I have seen stories like that in translator networks. It happens regularly.

What if a ban from posting applied for a maximum, say of three or five years, and then came up for review?
If it lapsed automatically, scammers and swindlers could just carry on.
If an agency has been through a bad patch, but sorted itself out, I think it would be fair to lift the ban. A long series of 5-ratings suggests they have learned their lesson!

[Edited at 2022-09-04 09:37 GMT]
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Marwa Seleem
Dalia Nour

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Christine Sep 4, 2022

Like you I’ve seen much more agencies move from "5s" to "1s" than the inverse, that’s one of the reasons why this one caught my eye…

Christine Andersen

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Teresa Sep 5, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:
This particular agency has 14 positive comments in 2022 and still has the famous banner “This outsourcer has been banned from…”. Isn’t this rather misleading?

No, I think this just shows that there are multiple ways to judge whether a client is good or bad, and the two things you mention are two separate metrics. It would defeat the purpose if you were to artificially force these two metrics to show the same result at the same time.

It is good that these two metrics are independent of each other: indeed, the larger an agency (i.e. the more different PMs and more different departments it has), the more likely you're going to see exact thing happen: e.g. one department neglects to pay 2 or 3 translators in a short time, and suddenly the entire agency is "banned from posting", but that doesn't mean the agency as a whole is bad, and this is borne out by the overall LWA ratings.

finnword1
finnword1
United States
English to Finnish
+ ...
It should work both ways Sep 5, 2022

I have seen translation companies receiving 15 or even more fives in two days. How do you explain that? At least I don't believe the abundance, and would not work for them.

writeaway

Michael Newton
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Outsourcer banned Sep 5, 2022

I have been contacted several times via my proz page by agencies that have been banned from posting. i asked them why they have been banned and why they have so many "1's" on their BlueBoard entry. I get responses like, "the translators are lying", "it is a mistake", "we are taking care of this right away'. The only time I would post a "1" is if the agency didn't pay me. I would never deal with an agency with a sea of "1's".

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Laura Kingdon

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Michael Sep 5, 2022

The same has happened to me and I don’t even ask why. I either say that I’m not available or I refer to their BB. That’s exactly why I would suggest some change in cases like this one.

Josephine Cassar
Walter Landesman

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Michael: the true meaning of a "1" rating Sep 5, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:
The only time I would post a "1" is if the agency didn't pay me.

That is you, but other translators may give a "1" rating for other reasons, even if the agency always paid on time.

The rating on the Blue Board is for "willingness to work again", but the reason you're unwilling to work again can be literally anything. E.g. their rates are too low, their PMs are rude, they're in an uncomfortable time zone, the work they offer is dull and boring, etc. Literally anything. E.g. the PM is named "Keegan" but it is a woman, and you strongly believe that only men should have the name "Keegan", then you can give them a "1" rating.

Of course, it would be more honest to your fellow-translators if you could write down WHY you gave them a "1" rating, but you don't have to.

Michael Newton
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Outsourcer banned Sep 5, 2022

Oftentimes translators who specify why they have given a "1", e.g. rude personnel, low rates, slow payment, illegible texts, etc. find themselves banned. "low rates" will incite ire from the moderators and they will force you to remove the comment. The only time I give a "1" is when the agency has not paid me and it is an incentive to pay me. Once they have paid me, I remove the "1".

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

This outsourcer has been banned...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »