Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:07
English to French
+ ...
Apr 30, 2019

Hi there!

I’m starting this thread on Wordfast Server for a few reasons:
_There is nearly no additional information available out there on this (I found none on ProZ.com)
_This is a very reliable tool (In my opinion), very stable, that can be useful to many and be used for free by freelancers.
_It would be interesting to have feedback on different use cases, situations etc. so that many could have access to extra information

This kind of workflow can
... See more
Hi there!

I’m starting this thread on Wordfast Server for a few reasons:
_There is nearly no additional information available out there on this (I found none on ProZ.com)
_This is a very reliable tool (In my opinion), very stable, that can be useful to many and be used for free by freelancers.
_It would be interesting to have feedback on different use cases, situations etc. so that many could have access to extra information

This kind of workflow can empower users to have a centralized TM and glossaries handling and improved cooperation between translators. I also personally like the concordance and search functions; these are very powerful when accessed from connected tools.

My findings so far were that few people understand just what exactly the tool does, some thinking maybe that it’s too complicated.

So here are a few quick facts:
_Wordfast Server is a computer program you can install on a Windows computer
_It is free for freelancers up to 3 simultaneous connections
_Keeps all your TMs and glossaries in one place on your computer and allows for remote access from other clients
_It can be used to add TMs and glossaries in Wordfast Pro5, Wordfast Classic, Wordfast Pro 3 and Wordfast Anywhere

A bit of story:
I hesitated a lot between doing a paid training at ProZ.com and going the Youtube and forum route to get the information out there. I finally opted for making a YouTube series and getting a forum started.
So, I published my first video on the subject today here:
https://youtu.be/yGyPvO8FG4Q
This first part explains general working principles to help see what this can do for various types of situations (freelancers, agencies, universities etc.). So, no tech setup in this one!
I have prepared teaching material for the next videos, but if there are some things you wish me to cover, let me know, I’ll get it in if I can (I haven’t started recording yet).

So, if you are a Wordfast Server user and don’t have somewhere to talk about it, your comments may have found a home in this forum 😉.
If you’re not, it would be nice to read you too 😊!

Hope this will be useful.
My bests to all.
Collapse

DZiW (X)
JC BAILBE
Mikael Arhelger

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 14:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
One man's meat Apr 30, 2019

Being a Wordfast Classic user myself, and never having heard of WFS, I had to Google it to see what it was about, and found this:

"Wordfast Server (WFS) is an efficient solution to centralize large Translation Memories and share them over the Internet".

Well, as I see myself as basically a "lone wolf" translator, I'm not interested in centralizing large TMs and/or sharing them over the Internet.

I might occasionally share one of my TMs with a trusted collea
... See more
Being a Wordfast Classic user myself, and never having heard of WFS, I had to Google it to see what it was about, and found this:

"Wordfast Server (WFS) is an efficient solution to centralize large Translation Memories and share them over the Internet".

Well, as I see myself as basically a "lone wolf" translator, I'm not interested in centralizing large TMs and/or sharing them over the Internet.

I might occasionally share one of my TMs with a trusted colleague when the need arises, but I don't remember the last time that happened. And certainly not via anything as iffy and insecure as the cloud.
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Security Apr 30, 2019

Thanks for your experience!

neilmac wrote:

And certainly not via anything as iffy and insecure as the cloud.

Yes, that's one of the nice aspects of Wordfast Server: you install it on your computer and you can give acess to the TMs and glossaries from there. So you're the master of the sharing and the security!
I explain some of that in the video.

JC BAILBE

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:07
English to French
+ ...
Another possible use... Apr 30, 2019

... for Wordfast Classic user, Wf Server can (could allegedly, should I say, since it hasn't worked for me in a number of years, although I had been able to use it in the past) be used to exceed Wf Classic limitation to one main and one secondary TM.

Philippe Locquet

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
This is all a bit confusing. Apr 30, 2019

Isn't Wordfast Server this tool: https://wordfast.com/products_wordfast_server

That is, a (really expensive) server solution for translation agencies. It's never a good sign if they say ‘Contact us for details’ on their pricing page.

What am I missing here?

Michael

Sergey Afanasev

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can be free too Apr 30, 2019

Hi Michael,

Michael Beijer wrote:

IWhat am I missing here?

Michael

Wordfast has a quite a few tools, it’s true.
Wordfast server can be used to its full power for free for freelancers, the only restriction being the number of simultaneous connections: 3.

The price scheme is a scale based on the number of desired connections, so AFIK it’s following the logic that if you are a company, the bigger you are = the bigger your needs = the higher you pay (seems rather fair I think).

What is little known is the free part for freelancers, so it would make sense to look at it in case someone would come to need it.

Hope this clarifies

Jorge Payan

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Wow Apr 30, 2019

Indeed. I just read the manual, which has the following:

Demo mode
The demo mode is defined by the absence of a valid license. It is indicated by a flashing RED message in the upper right hand corner of the application window. In this mode, WFS does not accept more than 3 simultaneous connections, and is reserved for private and personal use in production by individuals, such as freelance translators. Yes -- WfServer is free for use by private persons, including freelance
... See more

Demo mode
The demo mode is defined by the absence of a valid license. It is indicated by a flashing RED message in the upper right hand corner of the application window. In this mode, WFS does not accept more than 3 simultaneous connections, and is reserved for private and personal use in production by individuals, such as freelance translators. Yes -- WfServer is free for use by private persons, including freelance translators, in which case, the (fully functional) demo mode can be used. Translation/localization agencies, administrations, and corporations in general should use the demo mode only to evaluate or test WFS, but not for actual production.

I am definitely going to try this out on my spare laptop. Thanks for the tip!

Michael
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
JC BAILBE

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
also very instructive: Apr 30, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsEW2wVQrXE&list=PLa5_UbgJYSxJUJcvdUBAAcc4KplYX0XJE&index=2&t=0s

Michael

Philippe Locquet

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My point exactly Apr 30, 2019

Michael Beijer wrote:

I am definitely going to try this out on my spare laptop. Thanks for the tip!

Michael

This was the goal of my post, not many folks know that. And for those needing the extra resources they can weight better what it can do for them if they purchase.

Please let me know how the install goes. I'm working on setup videos, so knowing what others need/face to have it working will be useful.
The manual is a accurate but a bit outdated, the developer is super fast and efficient (that's what you want...).

To be sure it works for you when installing check the port WFS is using (on main WFS window) and open it in Windows Firewall. If you use a third-party Firewall, do it from there.

My bests

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed Apr 30, 2019

That's true, Kudos to Dominique!
You'll get the TM and Glossary setup and how to get you API key in the video you mentioned by CATGuru

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
btw Apr 30, 2019

Have you tested this in memoQ? memoQ has a Wordfast Server plugin. Also looks interesting.

I'll report back once I get things running.

Michael

Philippe Locquet

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MemoQ Plugin Apr 30, 2019

Michael Beijer wrote:

Have you tested this in memoQ? memoQ has a Wordfast Server plugin. Also looks interesting.

I'll report back once I get things running.

Michael

Yes I know it exists, I mention it in the video.
Unfortunately I didn't have the time to test it, been very busy and making this video as simple as possible took me a while, and the sequels will be the same...
If someone has input on this it would be nice.
What I know is that MemoQ developped the plugin and the API connector seems to ask for the wrong type of address. As with everything else, if a bunch of users try it and complain if it doesn't work, they'll fix it (if nobody uses it, well... it won't move I guess).

With the way WFS is made, any platform could connect to it, all the commands are in the manual for developers that want to connect to the tool. For example, WFA, all web-based, is running all TMs and Glossaries on WFS technology.

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good thinking! May 1, 2019

Jean Lachaud wrote:

... for Wordfast Classic user, Wf Server can (could allegedly, should I say, since it hasn't worked for me in a number of years, although I had been able to use it in the past) be used to exceed Wf Classic limitation to one main and one secondary TM.

That's true, that's a good idea.
For those unfamiliar with this, Wordfast Classic accepts:
One main TM
A secondary TM called "BTM"
And using server allows to add one extra TM, the "Remote TM" or "RTM".

That's a good practical use case I didn't think of, thanks a lot for bringing this up!

My bests

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Initial setup May 6, 2019

Hi there,

I'll be working now on the teaching material to explain how to do the initial setup in the host computer (install, config etc.).
So if there are things you'd like me to talk about, please let me know now.

By the way, connecting to WFS to Pro and others will be covered in the third video in this series, this second one is about a step-by-step technical setup.

My bests to all

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Wordfast TM plugin = working inside memoQ 8.7! May 6, 2019

Btw, I got Wordfast Server working with memoQ last night. Will post more details today sometime, but in a nutshell: I am getting hits from my WFS TM on Laptop 1 (the ‘Server’) from inside memoQ 8.7 on Laptop 2 (the ‘Client’)! Didn't even need to mess with port forwarding as the two computers are on the same LAN.

Michael

Philippe Locquet

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A Wordfast Server thread at last!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »