Proofreader delivered work late
Thread poster: Josephine Cassar
Frankie JB
Frankie JB
France
English to French
+ ...
My idea of common sense says: discount Aug 26, 2014

Josephine, if I were in your place I would simply pay him at a discount, at my own discretion and based on my terms and conditions (if applicable). I would notify him beforehand too, explaining honestly what I think. Even for introverts like me, it's not too hard to do that behind a computer, so you should be able to do that too!

I tell you what, I'm not the best time-keeper in the world and it's not so infrequent that I miss deadlines. Most of the time it's only by a small margin a
... See more
Josephine, if I were in your place I would simply pay him at a discount, at my own discretion and based on my terms and conditions (if applicable). I would notify him beforehand too, explaining honestly what I think. Even for introverts like me, it's not too hard to do that behind a computer, so you should be able to do that too!

I tell you what, I'm not the best time-keeper in the world and it's not so infrequent that I miss deadlines. Most of the time it's only by a small margin and I know the recipient is not rushed/flexible. But when it's a bit more than a small delay and/or I know it will have consequences (like disrupting their workflow/personal schedule e.g.) I find it only normal to offer them discounts. And sometimes it goes up to 100%, on translations that took me hours...

In my view this is what this person should have done (if he was really upright): a 100% discount, especially considering the job size/type (not a huge financial loss; and a lesser still in time spent as he probably dashed it off)...

Anyway, it's funny to read you writing "he is better at marketing than delivering on time", as moments ago I commented on another story* saying something along the same lines! Too much marketing often means the person is more concerned about working at that rather than at improving his skills/gaining new knowledge...

*see http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/273826-translator_not_delivering-page2.html
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Aug 26, 2014

Frankie JB wrote:
I tell you what, I'm not the best time-keeper in the world and it's not so infrequent that I miss deadlines.

I'd be wary of being too self-righteous here. A discount is definitely in order, but I've screwed up in the past, and I'm sure most of you have.

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:36
Japanese to English
+ ...
I think what he meant was: Aug 26, 2014

Frankie JB wrote:

I tell you what, I'm not the best time-keeper in the world and it's not so infrequent that I don't miss deadlines.

Took me a few readings too...then I realized it's meant to be a double negative.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreader delivered work late

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »