Michelle Kusuda
Michelle Kusuda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your input. Dec 22, 2014

First of all, thank you to all of you ( Sheila, Lorraine, Triston, Fiona, Paul, Misha, Joakim, Soledifulvio, Katalin, Diana, and John) for your comments. I need to dig out the NDA-Contract and read it over. I think my options are like one of you mentioned, small claims court/collection agency. Unfortunately, due to the holidays there is nothing I can do right away. I already left a "1" on the Blueboard stating "Non-payment."

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
clause in a contract protecting contract as a whole Dec 22, 2014

Some recent contracts that I've been given by agencies include a clause that says, in effect, that if any one clause is not upheld, all the other clauses are still valid. In other words, they're protecting themselves in the case of their nonperformance of some clause (hypothetically something like payment) so that I can't then say I had cause to violate other clauses (like confidentiality or contacting the end client). I suppose it protects me too, so that, if they allege I did not perform som... See more
Some recent contracts that I've been given by agencies include a clause that says, in effect, that if any one clause is not upheld, all the other clauses are still valid. In other words, they're protecting themselves in the case of their nonperformance of some clause (hypothetically something like payment) so that I can't then say I had cause to violate other clauses (like confidentiality or contacting the end client). I suppose it protects me too, so that, if they allege I did not perform some duty signed in the contract, they cannot retaliate by doing something else. So again, read your contract *carefully*.Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 12:20
Japanese to English
Translators do get sued Dec 23, 2014

The Misha wrote:

We are still to see, all of us, a case of a translator being sued for anything, anywhere. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Alas, you are wrong: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/honyaku/sJjM9WYbQI8

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:20
Chinese to English
Definitely doesn't void NDA... Dec 23, 2014

The NDA is a separate agreement, and so is not subject to any restrictions relating to your translation contract.

Here's how it might work:

You can't reveal to anyone the work that you do for the agency. But you still own the copyright, so you can (a) demand that they not use it, and (b) sue if they or anyone else uses it. If you have evidence that a third party has used your material (e.g. they've put your text up on their website), you could sue them, but you still co
... See more
The NDA is a separate agreement, and so is not subject to any restrictions relating to your translation contract.

Here's how it might work:

You can't reveal to anyone the work that you do for the agency. But you still own the copyright, so you can (a) demand that they not use it, and (b) sue if they or anyone else uses it. If you have evidence that a third party has used your material (e.g. they've put your text up on their website), you could sue them, but you still couldn't tell them why. I think a judge in such a case would view the materials privately in a way that would not constitute a breach of your NDA, and make a determination. (As per board guidelines, this is guesswork and does not constitute legal advice.)

But all of this assumes legal action. As I understand it, without a court's involvement, any attempt by you to contact the end client directly opens you up to liability.

As Fiona says, my advice would be to protect your own professionalism first. If it comes right down to it, better to lose one payment than to have a stain on your reputation. Your target of action is the party with whom you contracted, so best to focus on them.
Collapse

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 14:20
German to English
+ ...
Why should an nda stop you contacting the client? Dec 23, 2014

I can't see any link here. The NDA is an undertaking not to disclose specific details, most likely the details of a translation. I can't see it covering the fact of doing the translation, unless this is expressly stated. Hence, it most likely doesn't cover contacting the client, unless another part of the agreement expressly forbids this. Nor do I think that it is unprofessional to contact the client in these circumstances.
Given that the contract has not been performed by your client,
... See more
I can't see any link here. The NDA is an undertaking not to disclose specific details, most likely the details of a translation. I can't see it covering the fact of doing the translation, unless this is expressly stated. Hence, it most likely doesn't cover contacting the client, unless another part of the agreement expressly forbids this. Nor do I think that it is unprofessional to contact the client in these circumstances.
Given that the contract has not been performed by your client, you are at liberty to ignore it anyway. Even if there is a clause saying that breach of the contract by one party does not entitle the other party to do the same, I don't see a judge letting that one through (these are standard terms of business, which are subject to pretty strict conditions under most jurisdictions).

Having said that, if your client is in your country, I'd warn them that you are contacting a lawyer or a debt collection agency, give them a few days and then do so.

And yes, you probably do hold the copyright in your translation and the end-client would be in breach of your rights if they were to use it, which is a lot of egg on your agency's face!
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:20
English to French
Thank you very much Dec 23, 2014

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei wrote:

The Misha wrote:

We are still to see, all of us, a case of a translator being sued for anything, anywhere. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Alas, you are wrong: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/honyaku/sJjM9WYbQI8

The Misha
The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
Let's compare apples to apples, shall we? Dec 23, 2014

The Misha wrote:

What the translator seems to be sued for here has nothing to do with her translation activities and everything to do with political activism/whistle blowing/paranoia, etc. Sure, those will get you sued all right. If I go around badmouthing people for no good reason or, say, stealing Christmas cookies, someone will sue me too, sooner or later. And heck, I am a translator, so we'd get us another case of a poor translator being sued. Except what does all this have to do with the issue at hand?

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 12:20
Japanese to English
Moving the goalposts Dec 24, 2014

The Misha wrote:

The Misha wrote:

What the translator seems to be sued for here has nothing to do with her translation activities and everything to do with political activism/whistle blowing/paranoia, etc. Sure, those will get you sued all right. If I go around badmouthing people for no good reason or, say, stealing Christmas cookies, someone will sue me too, sooner or later. And heck, I am a translator, so we'd get us another case of a poor translator being sued. Except what does all this have to do with the issue at hand?

I beg your pardon, The Misha, but you said "being sued for anything, anywhere." [emphasis mine, but those are your words.] All I did was give you just such an example. And in this case lawsuit had everything to do with her translation activities - that's how she got hold of the documents in the first place, she did not just go around badmouthing Toyota for no good reason.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does non-payment void NDA?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »