What rate should I request for this project?
Thread poster: yamijig
yamijig
yamijig
United States
Local time: 16:23
Arabic to English
+ ...
Jan 31, 2015

I am being asked to produce a list of between 20 to 40 influencers of those speaking about a certain company (in a certain language). It includes lots of research on forums and social media sites as well as a familiarity with the brand and related companies. What should I ask per hour for a job like this?

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
As much as the market will bear... Jan 31, 2015

... is the standard answer.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Charge by the hour Jan 31, 2015

Work requiring research should be paid on an hourly basis. Calculate how many words of a text you might translate in one hour (use the maximum number of words, not an average!). The rate you would charge for this will give you an indication of a reasonable hourly rate.

Example (using round numbers): 400 words/hour times 10 cents per word = 40 dollars/euros, etc.

Teresa Reinhardt
Teresa Reinhardt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:23
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You could start with your usual hourly rate Jan 31, 2015

if you are confident that you can deliver fair value. If you have never done this type of work before, you will be slower than an expert, and you might want to "eat" some of that rate
(because now, someone is paying you to learn a new skill).

And of course, if something is posted globally, you will be competing globally. It would help to be well-informed about your competition - what are the going rates, etc.

Good luck!
Teresa

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
Local time: 22:23
English to Polish
+ ...
producing a list is no business of a translator Feb 1, 2015

but of a specialized company (PR?) or I don't understand what is it all about.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:23
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Plain research for a listing? Feb 2, 2015

If I understood your question correctly, then your are to create that list. This doesn't sound like a translation job.

Since you already know that this project will require a lot of research, charge your normal hourly rate. Keep in mind that you can only provide your client with an estimate (hours and total price) to ensure that there is room for additional time needing to be spend on the project.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:23
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Job for a speaker of more than one language though Feb 2, 2015

Thayenga wrote:
If I understood your question correctly, then your are to create that list. This doesn't sound like a translation job.

I imagine the research needs to be done in a couple of languages, with reporting to the client in maybe yet another. So I can see why they've called on someone who translates.

Since you already know that this project will require a lot of research, charge your normal hourly rate. Keep in mind that you can only provide your client with an estimate (hours and total price) to ensure that there is room for additional time needing to be spend on the project.

It might be best not even to give an estimate for the total job, but to estimate just a part of it, say for the first one or two names on the list. Once both parties know more about what's involved, you can quote more accurately for the rest of the job. You never know, when they see how long it takes they may want to change the job slightly.

If you're happy with getting what you earn per hour of translation then that would seem to be the rate to go for. But bear in mind other factors that may come into play:
- potential loss of future earnings due to refusing translation work
- business risk of working mostly or solely with one client (if that's the case)
- any associated costs incurred, such as telephone calls, visits in person etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What rate should I request for this project?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »