Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Displaying the ProZ availability calendar elsewhere?
Thread poster: Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:33
German to English
+ ...
Jun 8, 2009

Is it possible to display the ProZ availability calendar elsewhere (for example a web site or blog)? If so, how. If not, I suggest this functionality be added.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:33
SITE FOUNDER
Sounds like a good idea Jun 9, 2009

We'll look at the possibility. Thanks, Kevin!

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - here's why Jun 9, 2009

Thanks, Henry. Aside from the "nice to have" aspect of putting it on my web pages for my business, I would like to be see the ability of third parties (such as agencies) to embed it as a widget on information pages for translators. I have two agency customers that I occasionally get into grumbling matches with because they have the unreasonable expectation that I log on to their web-based project management system and update my availability calendar there. That is totally for the birds. I can ba... See more
Thanks, Henry. Aside from the "nice to have" aspect of putting it on my web pages for my business, I would like to be see the ability of third parties (such as agencies) to embed it as a widget on information pages for translators. I have two agency customers that I occasionally get into grumbling matches with because they have the unreasonable expectation that I log on to their web-based project management system and update my availability calendar there. That is totally for the birds. I can barely find the time to update my calendar on my local copy of Outlook; I manage to do so at ProZ mostly as an afterthought and I haven't got a chance of doing it with any reliability elsewhere. I would prefer ONE place to deal with updates that can be shown anywhere.

With that in mind I wonder if some sort of local integration with Outlook would be possible... maybe as an inexpensive commercial add-on.
Collapse

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 21:33
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Yes please....! Jun 9, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Thanks, Henry. Aside from the "nice to have" aspect of putting it on my web pages for my business, ....
.... With that in mind I wonder if some sort of local integration with Outlook would be possible... maybe as an inexpensive commercial add-on.

The Outlook sync/integration would be an enormous plus, so long as we could hide/filter out personal events/entries.

Good thinking, Kevin! Wonderful (typically) response, Henry! Yeah... ProZ.com!!

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
All for it Jun 9, 2009

Nice one, Kevin

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
iCalendar? Jun 9, 2009

Maybe it would be easiest to store the ProZ calendar data (dynamically, of course) in ical file, accessible by visitors? There are already some web widgets and services that support the format, not to mention a multitude of software packages...

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I'm all for it Jun 9, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Is it possible to display the ProZ availability calendar elsewhere (for example a web site or blog)? If so, how. If not, I suggest this functionality be added.

I'd like to embed the ProZ availability calendar in my own website and even in my e-mails.

Regards,
Gerard

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
E-mail? Yea! Jun 9, 2009

Gerard de Noord wrote:
I'd like to embed the ProZ availability calendar in my own website and even in my e-mails.

E-mail? Now that's a nice idea. It would save me the trouble of endlessly explaining the state of things here, and if it's refreshed via URL I suppose it would give a running update too.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:33
Russian to English
+ ...
It's been done Jun 9, 2009

There is a ProZ member with a beautiful website who has already done this, somehow. I looked at her html source code, but it was too much for me to grasp, as a beginning html user. I obviously won't mention her name without her permission, but just to note: it is doable, already.

Susan

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
iCalendar... Jun 9, 2009

The more I read about it, the more I am convinced that support for ics (not ical, sorry) would be a nice idea... For example, Outlook 2007 can directly sync with remote ics files:

http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/7059

Also, the Mozilla calendar app (Lightning) also supports remote ics directly...

David Earl
David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:33
German to English
Link to from email... Jun 17, 2009

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Regards,
Gerard

I'm not sure about embed in emails, but you can add a link into your emails now. The URL would look like:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=calendar&eid_s={profile_ID}&m=6&y=2009

where the text {profile_ID} is the numeric ProZ member ID. The number after &m= is the month and the number afte &y is the year. The following would be yours for June 2009.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=calendar&eid_s=31822&m=6&y=2009

Hope that helps,
David.

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not quite what I was looking for Jun 17, 2009

David Earl wrote:
.... you can add a link into your emails now. The URL would look like:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=calendar&eid_s={profile_ID}&m=6&y=2009

where the text {profile_ID} is the numeric ProZ member ID. The number after &m= is the month and the number afte &y is the year.

But still useful as a line to add to e-mail. However, what I'm more interested in is to embed the calendar in the sidebar of my blog or use it in a similar way elsewhere. I got a nice hint for this in private mail but unfortunately haven't had time to investigate it yet. An "official", approved method would be useful, if only because it might be less subject to "breaking" if changes occur.

David Earl
David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:33
German to English
Agreed Kevin Jun 22, 2009

No, it's not what you were looking for, but might meet Gerard's need, which is why I used his profile ID.

FWIW, I also found the link without the month/year arguments provides the next quarter's availability, as in: http://www.proz.com/?sp=calendar&eid_s={ProfileId}

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Actually it's not too difficult Jun 22, 2009

I am not sure if it is allowed but I have just made a small experiment and tried to copy some code from my profile to my translator's website (still under construction) and it was quite easy to display availability there - you just need to copy some HTML code from your profile to a website.

You can see results translator's website (still under construction) and it was quite easy to display availability there - you just need to copy some HTML code from your profile to a website.

You can see results here: obviously some extra work would could make it look better but the possibility is there - it is just copy and paste.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

[Edited at 2009-06-22 20:57 GMT]
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Good idea Stanislaw, but will it update? Jun 22, 2009

Too tired to read all the code tonight, but it looks like calendar consists of a static html table (+ a bit of javascript for button and open new window). So I doubt it will update automatically, but as I'm still a beginner when it comes to scripts I might be wrong. If not you'll have to copy+paste every time you update the calendar.

BTW, your website looks very good. I've been googling translation websites lately, freelancers and agencies, as I'm trying to get ideas for my redesign
... See more
Too tired to read all the code tonight, but it looks like calendar consists of a static html table (+ a bit of javascript for button and open new window). So I doubt it will update automatically, but as I'm still a beginner when it comes to scripts I might be wrong. If not you'll have to copy+paste every time you update the calendar.

BTW, your website looks very good. I've been googling translation websites lately, freelancers and agencies, as I'm trying to get ideas for my redesign. And to at least 90%, they look c..p. Generally, translation skills != good eye for design.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Displaying the ProZ availability calendar elsewhere?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »