Why does nobody seem to use SMS?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:40
Chinese to English
Just convention Aug 9, 2014

Here in China, my clients use text messages all the time. And online chat software like ICQ. It irritates the hell out of me, because I wasn't brought up that way, but I think it's just a matter of convention. In Europe, text messages are seen as being for play, not for work. Plus, for a long time they were a pain to type into your phone. You wouldn't want to be doing business that way. Now, of course, it's much easier, but the habit lingers.

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 17:40
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
smartphones Aug 10, 2014

I think, with today's advanced technologies there is no need to use text messages for business purposes. With smartphones every freelancer can check their emails on a regular basis. Texting is quite informal, I only use for confirming interpreting assignments.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 15:40
Chinese to English
+ ...
Computers and phones Aug 10, 2014

Phil Hand wrote:

Here in China, my clients use text messages all the time. And online chat software like ICQ. It irritates the hell out of me, because I wasn't brought up that way, but I think it's just a matter of convention. In Europe, text messages are seen as being for play, not for work. Plus, for a long time they were a pain to type into your phone. You wouldn't want to be doing business that way. Now, of course, it's much easier, but the habit lingers.

I can live with IM like Skype, but not SMS. I could write a thesis in the time that it takes me to type ten words on my phone.

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:40
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Some do, but... Aug 12, 2014

On my island, you need 3 networks to have mobile reception in about 80% of the island. I have 2 mobile phones - the only one that works in my village and the one that works best in the island capital. With these 2, I have a combined coverage for about 60% of the island. The one that works at my house is the mobile number I give out - that's were I spend most of my time. I have reception in a radius of about 1/2 mile around my house. Thus, if I go for a walk with my dogs, to the shop, the doctors... See more
On my island, you need 3 networks to have mobile reception in about 80% of the island. I have 2 mobile phones - the only one that works in my village and the one that works best in the island capital. With these 2, I have a combined coverage for about 60% of the island. The one that works at my house is the mobile number I give out - that's were I spend most of my time. I have reception in a radius of about 1/2 mile around my house. Thus, if I go for a walk with my dogs, to the shop, the doctors, etc. I have no reception.
I am not always able to respond to emails immediately, as I have high concentration requirements and it can take me a while to get back into a text. I check several times a day - whenever I complete a section - and usually that's fine. If there really is something urgent, I don't mind receiving a phone call or text message. As long as I'm not expected to reply by text, it's all the same to me. Usually, it will be something along the lines of "can you please check your email and get back to me within xxx time".
However, if I'm out of the house, I will only receive such a text when I get back in - and then I immediately check my emails anyway.
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:40
Polish to English
+ ...
EOB SOB Aug 12, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Does that have a professional ring about it? ... should be capable of receiving/sending emails wherever they are, and that means a smartphone.

1. A single message is limited to 160 characters, but if you write more than that, you are simply charged for sending multiple messages. If correctly set up, the receiving phone will get just one long text message (I'm not sure how that works - sometimes I get a single SMS that certainly contains more than 160 charcters and sometimes they are split into several separate messages).

2. It is absolutely possible to send and receive emails through a non-smartphone (stupidphone???) My venerable Nokia E51 is quite capable of sending and receiving emails.

[Edited at 2014-08-12 13:07 GMT]

Susan Ruusunen
Susan Ruusunen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:40
English to Finnish
+ ...
I get sms Aug 31, 2014

I mostly get my emails to my smartphone, too. However, I have some long-term clients who sometimes use sms if they're in a hurry and haven't been able to reach me via mail (for additions to jobs, new ones, etc.).

For me, it works out well. I also find it better than a phone call, as someone else pointed out, too, that it's so easy to miss information over the phone. E.g. noisy surroundings, being on the move (in a car or bus), or not being able to pick up right then.

... See more
I mostly get my emails to my smartphone, too. However, I have some long-term clients who sometimes use sms if they're in a hurry and haven't been able to reach me via mail (for additions to jobs, new ones, etc.).

For me, it works out well. I also find it better than a phone call, as someone else pointed out, too, that it's so easy to miss information over the phone. E.g. noisy surroundings, being on the move (in a car or bus), or not being able to pick up right then.

I guess smartphones and direct emails are more common now, and that may stop some clients from using sms, even though those don't usually have small character limits anymore.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why does nobody seem to use SMS?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »