fenny1991
fenny1991
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:07
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 18, 2015

Hello everyone!

I was offered a position as a Translation Project Coordinator in a small translation company in South Yorkshire. The salary offered would be around £15 500 per annum. I have done some research and found out the the average salary for the position is approximately £26 500 per annum. Considering that I don't have any experience in a similar position but I have a MSc degree in Translation Studies and have done some translations as a freelancer, would this salary be co
... See more
Hello everyone!

I was offered a position as a Translation Project Coordinator in a small translation company in South Yorkshire. The salary offered would be around £15 500 per annum. I have done some research and found out the the average salary for the position is approximately £26 500 per annum. Considering that I don't have any experience in a similar position but I have a MSc degree in Translation Studies and have done some translations as a freelancer, would this salary be considered suitable or do you think it is still too low?
Thank you very much for your advice!
Collapse

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:07
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That is too low Apr 18, 2015

fenny1991 wrote:

Hello everyone!

I was offered a position as a Translation Project Coordinator in a small translation company in South Yorkshire. The salary offered would be around £15 500 per annum. I have done some research and found out the the average salary for the position is approximately £26 500 per annum. Considering that I don't have any experience in a similar position but I have a MSc degree in Translation Studies and have done some translations as a freelancer, would this salary be considered suitable or do you think it is still too low?
Thank you very much for your advice!

I worked in the UK ten years ago with a £ 18 000 pounds per annum and that was low. Think about taxes. They should offer or you could make a counteroffer of £ 22 000 per annum.

fenny1991
fenny1991
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No experience Apr 18, 2015

Hello Paulinho!
Thanks for your reply.

Do you think the same salary range could apply also to people with no experience in the same position? Because I thought that the salary was that low for this reason but it acutally is really low.

Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:07
English to Dutch
+ ...
Have them promise Apr 19, 2015

(in writing) that they'll revisit your salary after a short evaluation period (say no more than 6 months). If they agree to that, great. If they don't, use the work as a stepping stone to a better position elsewhere (after all, when you go looking for a new job, you will no longer be an inexperienced translator/PM.)

brg (X)
brg (X)
Netherlands
Are you sure Apr 19, 2015

that they are looking for a translator with an MA or MSc in translation studies, and not for a secretary (called 'project coordinator')?

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Negotiate Apr 19, 2015

I don't know what the going rate is for this kind of position, but if you decide its worth taking on for a while for the experience you should at least see if you can negotiate it up a bit. You have nothing to lose by making your case and even a small increase will make a difference, both now and in future negotiations.

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:07
Member (2008)
English to French
Check out glassdoor Apr 20, 2015

Look on glassdoor.com

I searched translation project coordinator and yorkshire and got salaries of 42,000 to 66,000 USD (28,000 to 44,000 GBP). So what you were offered was 1/2 to 1/3 of the 'normal' salary for a Translation project coordinator in your area.

fenny1991
fenny1991
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah Apr 20, 2015

I checked on glassdor and totaljobs and that's when I started having doubts. I think I'll ask them to increase my salary and if they don't agree, I won't accept the position.
Thank you very much to everyone!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Project Coordinator: salary

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »