Finland
Local time: 11:24
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why not workers from Thailand? Oct 12, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

...so we buy fruit and veg here that is produced by slave labour?! Really, is this a fact?! Wouldn't the workers have to be paid minimum wage anyway, otherwise this would be illegal and these companies should be prosecuted. Instead the workers are blamed?! Hm?

And yes, the prices will go up in a couple of years, if we don't stay in the single market.

[Edited at 2016-10-11 16:07 GMT]

Not exactly. Here's one of the ways in which it works:

British recruitment firms, hired by the big farms that supply the UK supermarket chains like Sainsbury's, Tesco etc. advertise seasonal agricultural labouring jobs directly in Poland and Romania (etc.) in the local languages and not in the UK. These agencies often offer help with transport and local accommodation. Large groups of Poles and Romanians come over to the UK in overninght busses to work on the big farms, mainly in eastern England, for a new months. They are happy to sleep rough and spend little money. By sending the money back to their families the exchange rate is so good that they can build houses etc. For them, it's a good deal!

British workers can't compete with this and anyway, Brits are never offered the jobs because they don't want that kind of hard work. Employers are aways complaining that when they advertise locally, no Brits apply for the work.

Some of the big suppliers have even moved their whole farms to Poland.

In Finland we get people from Thailand to pick berries and mushrooms in the forests. Poles would be much too expensive (and less eager to work 14 hours daily).
What do you need the EU for? The world is full of cheap labor.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:24
French to English
One major variable overlooked Oct 12, 2016

Whilst I think that Brexit does shake the tree a little, are not all translators subject to variations in their income? This is devalue the points of view expressed thus far, but it does seem that as self-employed professionals, we are always exposed to various forces (social, political, economic) we cannot do anything about. It comes with the job, I'm not wild about it, but I think it is a factor we have always had to bear in mind.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2 ; http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/8#8
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Reply to a hidden post.
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:24
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Indeed, there's always someone cheaper Oct 12, 2016

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
In Finland we get people from Thailand to pick berries and mushrooms in the forests. Poles would be much too expensive (and less eager to work 14 hours daily).What do you need the EU for? The world is full of cheap labor.

It certainly is. In Thailand they use migrants from Myanmar. And most of Africa has lower GDP per capital than Myanmar, so I guess migrants from Africa could work in Myanmar...

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Reply to a hidden post.
Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:24
German to English
Transsexual? Oct 12, 2016

Why would Chris be want to look like a male model and be sad she doesn't?

Oh well, at least someone is maintaining the admirable culture of debate here.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:24
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
I'm just poorly informed Oct 12, 2016

Michael Wetzel wrote:
Why would Chris be want to look like a male model and be sad she doesn't?

I don't know Chris' gender so I guessed. I had a ~50% chance of getting it right...

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Plummeting value of GBP since Brexit

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »