Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:58
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Quick Oct 21, 2016

Decipherit wrote:

Sure enough, a Paris-based agency has just sent a round robin asking for my "rates in pounds".

They're quick, aren't they?

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
Well... Oct 21, 2016

then change your current Euro rate into Pounds.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
British tea, jam and biscuits will be at the heart of Britain's Brexit trade plans Oct 21, 2016

This guy is the only UK political commentator I trust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3cOaawUptc

(for those not familiar with British newspapers:

The Torygraph = The Daily Telegraph
The Daily Fail = the Daily Mail
The Substandard = The London Evening Standard

etc.)

[Edited at 2016-10-21 10:05 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 08:58
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Some of my UK clients did it on their own. Oct 21, 2016

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

A while ago I logged into their online system only to find my total earnings are now expressed in GBP, whereas it's always been in EUR for the past several years. As far as I am aware, I am on a gain. I mean, it wasn't a conversion, it's the same amount/rate, they just replaced EUR with GBP.

[Edited at 2016-10-21 10:10 GMT]

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
If they insist Oct 21, 2016

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

I've ignored it since I haven't worked for them for quite some time, but if they insist I'll send them a link to xe.com

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Currencies Oct 21, 2016

Beats me why anyone based in the UK would invoice in anything other than pounds.

That way you know exactly what you're going to get.

Your customers are always going to be better equipped to absorb currency fluctuations than you. And the chances of you beating the markets are slim.

And there's less admin.

So at times I'm 10% more expensive. Do I really need to worry that all my customers are going to jump ship to the legions of equally expert t
... See more
Beats me why anyone based in the UK would invoice in anything other than pounds.

That way you know exactly what you're going to get.

Your customers are always going to be better equipped to absorb currency fluctuations than you. And the chances of you beating the markets are slim.

And there's less admin.

So at times I'm 10% more expensive. Do I really need to worry that all my customers are going to jump ship to the legions of equally expert translators in my field who used to be 5% more expensive than me but are now 5% cheaper? Or just say, sod it, let's use Google Translate instead? I don't think so.

[Edited at 2016-10-21 13:51 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Here's whay Oct 21, 2016

Chris S wrote:

Allow me to explain why:

My clients are in countries where the Euro is the standard currency. That's the one they understand.

I hope that's clear.

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Reasons Oct 21, 2016

I mainly work with direct clients across Europe, most are public bodies and pay in their national currency or international organisations who pay in USD - take it or leave it.

As for this particular agency, our relationship began around 10 years ago when I was living in France so agreed fees were always in Euros. I have virtually no clients in the UK. I don't think expert translators need worry but since bulk market agencies are focused on maximising profit on each every deal translators working in that market can expect to lose out to UK translators -- until the exchange rate shifts again.

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
Currency Oct 21, 2016

Most of my clients pay in their own currency, that is Euro, GBP or US$ (I couldn't accept others), so nothing has changed really, everybody pays the same rate as before and nobody so far has tried to take the current exchange rate advantage away from me.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I give up Oct 21, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

My clients are in countries where the Euro is the standard currency. That's the one they understand.

I hope that's clear.

They must be exceptionally thick not to be able to grasp the concept of other currencies.

[Edited at 2016-10-21 14:00 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Same here Oct 21, 2016

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

Most of my clients pay in their own currency, that is Euro, GBP or US$ (I couldn't accept others), so nothing has changed really, everybody pays the same rate as before and nobody so far has tried to take the current exchange rate advantage away from me.

Same here. In any case I think the "exchange rate advantage" is probably cancelled out by the increase in the cost of imported goods, including food.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Plummeting value of GBP since Brexit

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »