Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Poll: What would you do if you were not a translator ?
Autor wątku: ProZ.com Staff
Raymonde Gagnier
Raymonde Gagnier  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 11:28
angielski > francuski
I already have four jobs... Mar 21, 2007

I'm an actress (stage mostly), narrator, translator and mother. I love all four jobs and could not choose one over the others. Doing all of them is easy, they complement one another and keep me interested and there are a lot of hours in a day when you don't sleep a lot...:-)
But, in an ideal world, I'd also be a rock star!

Evelyn Leenen-van Dijk
Evelyn Leenen-van Dijk  Identity Verified
Holandia
Local time: 17:28
angielski > niderlandzki
+ ...
If I had the money and couldn't be a translator.... Mar 21, 2007

I would have my own bookstore with a seating area where you could read books while drinking a cup of tea/coffee and with a internet connection. Something like Ellen DeGeneres in the sitcom Ellen.

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Włochy
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

włoski > hiszpański
+ ...
Sportswoman Mar 21, 2007

If I were not a translator, I'd like to be a runner, a gymnast, a dancer... something like that...
In the meantime, I spend an average of 14 hours a day 7 days a week sitting before a computer

p.s. I love my job though!

[Edited at 2007-03-21 22:21]

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Węgry
Członek ProZ.com
od 2002

angielski > węgierski
+ ...
journalism / writing / web Mar 21, 2007

I have enough ideas for at least 8 or 10 books. Mostly a mixture of travelogue, cultural history and my own sarcastic view of the world.
Other than that, journalism and/or travel writing.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 08:28
Członek ProZ.com
od 2001

niemiecki > włoski
+ ...
Using the same procedure in another business.... Mar 21, 2007

Hi,

I loved the "I'd be a spy" choice: it did make me laugh out loud

.. and for various reasons, a famous trial included

Giuliana

Cristine Martin
Cristine Martin
Brazylia
Local time: 12:28
angielski > portugalski
Artist Mar 21, 2007

Good poll, and very interesting answers...

I choose "artist", because that´s what I always did as a hobby: either painting, drawing, handcrafting (crochet, embroidering, etc), that´s what I love to do in my leisure time. But, of course, I love translation, and luckily I can do both things. Not to mention the "other jobs": housewife and mother...

But I also liked the librarian option many of you mentioned; it would be good to work among books, that´s another passion o
... See more
Good poll, and very interesting answers...

I choose "artist", because that´s what I always did as a hobby: either painting, drawing, handcrafting (crochet, embroidering, etc), that´s what I love to do in my leisure time. But, of course, I love translation, and luckily I can do both things. Not to mention the "other jobs": housewife and mother...

But I also liked the librarian option many of you mentioned; it would be good to work among books, that´s another passion of mine...
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 09:28
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

angielski > włoski
+ ...
Artist Mar 21, 2007

Already doing it (part time), in fact: see my Art web site

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
angielski > polski
+ ...
Other Mar 21, 2007

I probably should have voted "education" as this is what I did for 23 years along with translating, but enough is enough.
If it did not require abandoning translation completely (unfortunately it does), I'd love being an entrepreneur. I've had an opportunity to build an organisation from scratch, and it was just the right amount of adrenaline I am not afraid of red tape, I have no problem chewing through fiscal or legal regu
... See more
I probably should have voted "education" as this is what I did for 23 years along with translating, but enough is enough.
If it did not require abandoning translation completely (unfortunately it does), I'd love being an entrepreneur. I've had an opportunity to build an organisation from scratch, and it was just the right amount of adrenaline I am not afraid of red tape, I have no problem chewing through fiscal or legal regulations, get on well with new people and love seeing my ideas materialise ... great job!
Mind you, I am not talking about day-to-day management - beyond the organisation's fledgeling stage, it gets more and more boring every day ... after 2-3 years it would be time to sell at a huge profit and move on.
Collapse

Els Spin
Els Spin  Identity Verified
Holandia
niderlandzki > angielski
+ ...
Me and my dream Mar 22, 2007

In the real world, I have already combined my two main interests without playing Jeckyll and Hyde: during the day, I work at a uni and at night I am an education and research translator.

What could be better?

Well...

If I had all the money in the world, I would buy myself a cottage in a typically English, old-fashioned, kind of Midsomer Murders village, bake cakes for the village fete and meanwhile solve a murder or two.
And if anyone wants anything t
... See more
In the real world, I have already combined my two main interests without playing Jeckyll and Hyde: during the day, I work at a uni and at night I am an education and research translator.

What could be better?

Well...

If I had all the money in the world, I would buy myself a cottage in a typically English, old-fashioned, kind of Midsomer Murders village, bake cakes for the village fete and meanwhile solve a murder or two.
And if anyone wants anything translated, they can mail me. Reply is not guaranteed though, since I might be sticking my Miss Marple nose in at a typically English, old-fashioned, kind of Midsomer Murders village police station and get arrested for interfering with an enquiry - but who cares?

Toodles!
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 11:28
angielski > francuski
+ ...
I have no idea how I would have evolved if I hadn't become a translator Mar 22, 2007

I have been evolving in a specific direction since I've been translating, and naturally, I would not have evolved that way otherwise. The problem is I don't know what other direction I would have taken...

I answered I would prpbably work in an office, but being an artist or an inventor could also have been possibilities. Maybe I made the wrong choice - maybe I would have a nicer life if I had chosen differently.

This is a very interesting question, makes you wonder!

Marie-Josée Gravel (X)
Marie-Josée Gravel (X)  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 12:28
francuski > angielski
+ ...
I'd be a Vet Mar 22, 2007

I've always wanted to be a veterinarian... unfortunately, me and sciences simply don't add up. After having spent many hours in trying to understand chemistry (or physics or advanced math), going to extra classes and then flunking my courses, I gave up.

Letters and I are doing much better together. I secretly keep wishing that I was a vet, but I don't regret anything. It wasn't meant for me and I accept it.

Instead, I surround myself with animals and find that the vet's
... See more
I've always wanted to be a veterinarian... unfortunately, me and sciences simply don't add up. After having spent many hours in trying to understand chemistry (or physics or advanced math), going to extra classes and then flunking my courses, I gave up.

Letters and I are doing much better together. I secretly keep wishing that I was a vet, but I don't regret anything. It wasn't meant for me and I accept it.

Instead, I surround myself with animals and find that the vet's bill is much higher than what my clients pay for my work!

But hey, it's life!
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
USA
Local time: 10:28
angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
Marie-Josée, let's join the forces:-) Mar 22, 2007

I always wanted to be a pet day care/hotel/non-killing shelter owner. Still do. Not a bad option for retirement. Who knows, I might open one some day...

Ana SIERRA VINUESA
Ana SIERRA VINUESA
Hiszpania
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Not always Fiona... Mar 22, 2007

[quote]Fiona Peterson wrote:

Hard work, but gratifying. At least the patients say thank you, which is more than 90% of my clients do

Patients not always thank you Fiona so more and more they are considered "customers" and doctors/nurses their "providers"...

Julia Bogdan Rollo (X)
Julia Bogdan Rollo (X)  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 08:28
rumuński > angielski
+ ...
An accountant Mar 22, 2007

I actually work as a production accountant during the day and translator at night. I love both jobs and find that they complement each other better than imagined - the accounting lets me hone my mind on specific tasks, which helps me focus better when I do translations.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Członek ProZ.com
od 2005

angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
"What would you like to be when you grow up?"... Mar 22, 2007

...that's how I'm treating this poll, intentionally ignoring my previous background before moving into localisation and translation.

Given that I'd have some years of retraining with no work or little work, I think I'd retrain as a forest engineer or similar and spend the rest of my working time helping farmers create forests in their unused land, which is a lot in Spain.

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorzy tego forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What would you do if you were not a translator ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »