China
Local time: 12:27
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...
In-house translators are responsible for Quality Control/Assurance Feb 10, 2009

Olivia MAHÉ wrote:

Hi Anna,

I confess that up to now I have properly no experience in this field, but I'm quite interested in this argument and I think it would be nice to hear more often of those who chose to or try to relocate abroad for a while, or for the rest of their lives...

(By the way, why not opening a forum on this theme?)

I myself dream of going away, far, far in the east, but I never happened to see any offer coming from (let's say) INDIA, of someone looking for an in-house native French translator(...). I guess over there they have plenty of resident French-speaking persons meeting their needs...

Well, unfortunately I think that to find a position as an in-house translator, you have to live already in the country, and that as far as you are not an English-speaking native, it is HOPELESS!!!

Anyway, good luck!

Olivia

Hello Olivia,

I have been working as an in-house English-Chinese translator for 6 years in China, and though outsourcing to freelancers is the industry trend, in-house translators are necessary to professional language service providers.

Those companies which only have simple translation requirements for email translation, phone communication or document translation, or regional agencies for global companies, both have such in-house translator needs. However, candidates are expected to do more than translation, sometimes secretary jobs are also required. While in professional language service providers, like a translation company or localization provider, you can seek a position which is dedicated to translation. Such jobs require senior translation experiences and knowledge in many domains. These in-house translators are usually responsible for quality control of the translations outsourced to freelancers. We used have two in-house translators for French, German, Italian and Spanish, but reduced to one due to the economic crisis.

If you like to come to east, consider China. There are many opportunities out there.

Kind regards,

Ricky

Abdul Katawazai
Abdul Katawazai
Canada
Local time: 22:27
English to Dari
+ ...
thousands of in house translators May 12, 2012

Here in Afghanistan there is so much translation going and there is no concept of freelance translation. Almost every public and private office has one or more than one in house translators.

So it all depends on which pair you working in.

Mohammad

Seth Phillips
Seth Phillips  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:27
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Also in search for in-house translator position in US Sep 1, 2014

It's 2014, and I'm not finding much (updated/current) information about searching in-house translator positions in the US (my native country). After freelancing for almost 4 years mostly abroad, I'm soon going to be searching for such position, objectively with a law firm, financial institution or translation company specialized in legal and/or financial translation. My working languages are Spanish and Portuguese (into English), with focus on legal and business / finance (for which I'm planning... See more
It's 2014, and I'm not finding much (updated/current) information about searching in-house translator positions in the US (my native country). After freelancing for almost 4 years mostly abroad, I'm soon going to be searching for such position, objectively with a law firm, financial institution or translation company specialized in legal and/or financial translation. My working languages are Spanish and Portuguese (into English), with focus on legal and business / finance (for which I'm planning to specialize in the long-term). If you have any tips, suggestions and/or information in this regard, please feel free to email me at [email protected]. Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2014-09-01 18:48 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is in-house translator a dying breed?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »