Letter of Motivation
Thread poster: OOGIT
OOGIT
OOGIT
Local time: 20:50
Oct 15, 2014

Hi all,

I'd like to apply for a job as a freelance translator in a UK translation agency.
According to the company's website, i should submit both a CV and a Letter of Motivation (as an attached file, not an e-mail)
I am not sure as to what my approach should be when writing an application for a freelancer's position (as oppposed to applying for an employee's position), and what details such letter should include.
Appreciate any help and thoughts.

Roni
... See more
Hi all,

I'd like to apply for a job as a freelance translator in a UK translation agency.
According to the company's website, i should submit both a CV and a Letter of Motivation (as an attached file, not an e-mail)
I am not sure as to what my approach should be when writing an application for a freelancer's position (as oppposed to applying for an employee's position), and what details such letter should include.
Appreciate any help and thoughts.

Ronit.
Collapse

Chien Nguyen
Chien Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 00:50
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
basic points Oct 15, 2014

I think you will write better with your understanding about the company and the job description for the b position you are applying.
Otherwise, you can joy down your expectations from the job, how you can contribute to the company and your vision to this career.
Thanks

lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)

cover letter Oct 15, 2014

Dear Ronit,

I believe the company is asking for a cover letter. I never heard of "letter of motivation" in US Eng., and think it is a translation of "lettre de motivation". If you google cover letter or cover letter examples, you will find lots of information that you can apply to your particular situation.

[Edited at 2014-10-15 18:10 GMT]

OOGIT
OOGIT
TOPIC STARTER
elaboration on my question Oct 15, 2014

Yes, i know this means cover letter, i just don't know what it should include.
In particular, so far i specialized mainly in legal translation, and would like to expand my areas of experitse into technical translation as well, which is what the company does.
I have some technical translation experience, but mostly what i did so far was legal and business translation.
my quesiton is basically, should i explain in the cover letter why i am interested in working as a technical tra
... See more
Yes, i know this means cover letter, i just don't know what it should include.
In particular, so far i specialized mainly in legal translation, and would like to expand my areas of experitse into technical translation as well, which is what the company does.
I have some technical translation experience, but mostly what i did so far was legal and business translation.
my quesiton is basically, should i explain in the cover letter why i am interested in working as a technical translator as well?
if so, how would you go about explaining this?

[נערך ב- 2014-10-15 18:00 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:50
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
No such thing for a freelancer Oct 15, 2014

Hello Ronit,
OOGIT wrote:

I don't mean to be pedantic but as a freelancer you're approaching an agency in the hope of becoming one of their partners/collaborators/suppliers... "A job as ... in..." is employee-speak.

That's the agency using the same boss-speak language. They like to do that as it puts you at a distinct disadvantage - telling you that you aren't going to be an equal business partner in their eyes. However, legally you are just that. If they want employees then they must give an employment contract with all the perks. Freelancers never write cover letters; they write introductory letters/emails when they cold-call a prospective client (e.g. an agency that might have work for you), or they respond to requests for their services (e.g. jobs posted here) with a quote.

Like an employee's cover letter, it should be short - a short single page with a lot of white on the page. A lot of the content is quite similar:
- the highlights of your relevant (important word!) skills, experience, qualifications (not necessarily in that order); choose just those that you know will impress the reader most and/or are your strongest
- a mention of the attached CV, a link to your profile here perhaps, or to your website...
But also:
- your terms and conditions. Give a range if you feel the need but remember that few agencies will be happy to pay more than your stated minimum. And don't believe anyone who says you can put your rates up once you've proved you can do the work!

Important note: your CV is only called that out of habit. It isn't the same as an employee's CV. You'll need a totally different one. There are some hints and tips here: http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Creating_an_effective_CV_/_resume

Re your query about adding a new subject area, you simply need to put a positive spin on it by mentioning past experience with terminology (not necessarily as a translator), and/or education, and/or that you're simply ready now to branch out. Just be positive.

OOGIT
OOGIT
TOPIC STARTER
Sheila Wilson - thanks very much for your help Oct 21, 2014

thank you

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Letter of Motivation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »