Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Racism and Human Trafficking (Michael Horn / John Burroughs)- False demand
Thread poster: Mathieu Jacquet
simopet
simopet
Italy
louis gerrard contacted me Oct 10, 2013

hallo I received very strange emails from Louis Gerrard asking for a translation and sending me even the document to translat from english to italian.......
is it a scam????? I feel it very strange.....he writes in english with many mistakes too! he wants to pay by cheque

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 21:13
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
IT IS DEFINITELY A SCAM! Oct 10, 2013

There can no longer be any doubt about it, this is a 100% scam!

Payment by cheque is always a risky business, and anyone suggesting it up front in the negotiations like this would be doubly suspicious, even without all the other factors.

LisaVGarcia
LisaVGarcia
Portugal
Local time: 19:13
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Another one here contacted by Louis Gerrard Oct 11, 2013

Here´s the email I got from him:

"ENGLISH > PORTUGUESE TRANSLATOR NEEDED
Hello,

Are you a translator, can you translate an article from English > Portuguese? If yes Please confirm to me on your availability for this project while i supply you further details.

I await your mail while i supply you with more detail."

I replied manifesting my availability and he proceeded by sending me a first (interesting) document for me to translate and
... See more
Here´s the email I got from him:

"ENGLISH > PORTUGUESE TRANSLATOR NEEDED
Hello,

Are you a translator, can you translate an article from English > Portuguese? If yes Please confirm to me on your availability for this project while i supply you further details.

I await your mail while i supply you with more detail."

I replied manifesting my availability and he proceeded by sending me a first (interesting) document for me to translate and asking me to do the word/character count and get back to him with my service fee. Which I did, though I was getting suspicious by then because of the "bad" english. So I googled the document and nothing suspicious came up. So I did send him a quote. It was when I got his reply assigning the work to me that I got really suspicious and googled his email addres [email protected] which got me to this thread on ProZ. As we portuguese say: "em boa hora" (in good time). Now I don't have to jump on a job that would take up many hours of my time, while waiting for a payment that would turn out to be bogus.

Thank you ProZ!

Just for the record, here's the email that got me to google his email address:

"Okay good to read from you. First of all, I am glad that the document has been reviewed by you and you're okay with it, though somebody criticized me but a translator okay it. I budget €1400 for the project and I will make arrangement for the half payment and balance you up before you finish with the project. So send me your payment information such as Full name, Address, City and Zip-code where the check will be sent to so that i mail it out immediately.

The payment will be made by our financial correspondent, In fact I am going to meet with her to finalize the payment aspect so it will be glad if you can get back to me payment details on time. She said she will be going on a business trip so i need to get the money for the translation before she leave town.
Thanks and await your response as soon as possible."

So, watch out, everyone and keep safe from scammers.

[Edited at 2013-10-11 10:36 GMT]
Collapse

Naomi Long
Naomi Long  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:13
Member (2014)
French to English
+ ...
Myriam Sales again Jun 4, 2015

Just got an email from Myriam Sales with the same wording mentioned earlier in this thread, and so - as I've had non-payment issues with Greenlandic Translations (also mentioned somewhere on this forum by other people), I have finally got wise and started looking people up. So thank you all very much, I will proceed no further with "her". Oh btw, they are working under the scammer name Julia Davids now, but in the second mail I got the carbon copy of the Myriam Sales message, with the address gi... See more
Just got an email from Myriam Sales with the same wording mentioned earlier in this thread, and so - as I've had non-payment issues with Greenlandic Translations (also mentioned somewhere on this forum by other people), I have finally got wise and started looking people up. So thank you all very much, I will proceed no further with "her". Oh btw, they are working under the scammer name Julia Davids now, but in the second mail I got the carbon copy of the Myriam Sales message, with the address given as Myriam Sales.

[Edited at 2015-06-04 07:46 GMT]
Collapse

memond
memond  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:13
Member (2015)
English to French
+ ...
Myriam Sales Jun 5, 2015

I also received this e-mail from Myriam Sales this week, and I am glad I checked on the website of ProZ because I was suspicious. She wanted to translate (20, 225 words) a book she claimed to have written from English to French. But all the e-mails I have received from her were so badly written in English. Obviously, English is not her mother tongue. Also, the address she gave me was the address of a Heart Institute in Milwaukee, Wisconsin...

I think I'll contact the Heart Institut
... See more
I also received this e-mail from Myriam Sales this week, and I am glad I checked on the website of ProZ because I was suspicious. She wanted to translate (20, 225 words) a book she claimed to have written from English to French. But all the e-mails I have received from her were so badly written in English. Obviously, English is not her mother tongue. Also, the address she gave me was the address of a Heart Institute in Milwaukee, Wisconsin...

I think I'll contact the Heart Institute to warn them that someone uses their address in a fraudulent way.

I do not know where she got the e-mail she used to contact me because I am new in this translation business, and I have just acquired this new e-mail address. I am on my way to set-up my small freelance company. In fact, I gave this e-mail address only to the UN Volunteer Program...to nobody else.

I have not lost any money or 'translation time' per se, but I have spent my time to respond to her emails and even to write a contract and sent her this contract. Also, I regret having sent her my business address and phone number.

They target translators because they are vulnerable people. To survive, many translators are willing to accept anything. This is quite sad.

Best

Martine

[Edited at 2015-06-05 03:25 GMT]

[Modifié le 2015-06-05 15:10 GMT]
Collapse

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:13
Serbian to English
+ ...
A scam? No ways, it's a perfectly legitimate Jun 5, 2015

data harvesting business ... oops, sorry an "Educational Company"!

Satoru Sakaguchi wrote:

Dear All

I also received an email from "Micheal Horn" recently.

"Micheal Horn
14, Fitzhardinge Street,
West Central,
London, W1H 6DH
+447024088628"

Internet search tells me that this address is that of British Heart Foundation and that "070" phone numbers are often used by scammers.

Now, I have concluded this is definitely a scam. ....

http://www.translatorpub.com/sections/misc/agency_details.asp?agency_details_id=12180

Agency:
SecureData Collecting Inc.
Established: 2009

Agency Type:
Educational Company

E-Mail Address:
[email protected]

Address:
Flat 116, Guinness Court, Mansell Street E1 8AQ

[note their contact number +447024088628 and the address , if not the real one, surely much "closer to home"]

an "educational Company" targeting not only translators

https://www.facebook.com/cunard/posts/10151376693508223

or maybe not, in fact it's a charity:

someone even created a "Heart Foundation" website (unfinished site, many empty templates still left) with the same 070 contact number,

CONTACT US
FOUNDATION HEART
14, Fitzhardinge Street,
West Central,
London, W1H 6DH
+447024088628

and a contact email for giving donations [email protected],

but so clumsily that it revealed another element:
Google helpfully indicated the location from which this site was created:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/33°40'30.9"N%20117°49'11.4"W/@33.6753896,-117.8200937,18z

BTW 070 numbers can be used to hide the real number you are calling but are designed primarily to avoid missing calls by redirecting calls to any number availed depending on the time of the day, in which country your are, which mobile has reception etc - 070 numbers are in themselves no more or less "suspicious" than any landline or mobile number. But they can be very expensive to call, if you try out of curiosity - another way to make a donation to this "Educational Company"?

[Edited at 2015-06-05 10:43 GMT]

some useful information regarding 070 / +4470 numbers:

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/news/consumers-warned-about-070-missed-call-scam/

[Edited at 2015-06-05 11:47 GMT]

Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Nick Ungefug - easy to remember Jun 7, 2015

From all these scammers, Nick Ungefug at least chose a revealing surname: Un(ge)fug.

Tsogt Gombosuren
Tsogt Gombosuren  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:13
Member (2004)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
Another scammer under the name of Terri Adam Jun 9, 2015

I have received the following mail:

"Greetings to you, I am in search for a qualified translator that can work on my documents for me.
I have two Articles for translation.
(1) RACISM AND PREJUDICE (17,266 WORDS)
(2) CONFLICT RESOLUTION. (23,515 WORDS)
Article 1 is available now for translation but article 2 is still with the Editor but i am sure it will be ready soon.
Both Articles are meant for seminar to Educate masses on Racism and other issues relat
... See more
I have received the following mail:

"Greetings to you, I am in search for a qualified translator that can work on my documents for me.
Article 1 is available now for translation but article 2 is still with the Editor but i am sure it will be ready soon.
Both Articles are meant for seminar to Educate masses on Racism and other issues related to it.
The Articles are meant to be translated from English to Mongolian.
Deadline for the Racism and Prejudice Article is 7th July, 2015 while deadline for Conflict Resolution Article will be determined when you receive the document but i am sure you will have enough time for you to translate it.
However, I will like you to confirm your availability so i can provide a copy of the Racism and Prejudice article for you and other information required.
I will be waiting to read back from you.

Regards,
Terri Adam,
38 Tychonick Bay,
Winnipeg,Manitoba,
Canada
646-363-6927"

And, when I answered it with my rates, I got the following offer (to pay in advance, lol):

"Dear Tsogt,

Thanks for your response and availability Below are the details for the first document that is ready fortranslation.
The second document is still under review and it will be sent to you as soon as its ready but i want quote for the 2 documents as the payment will be issued together to avoid delay when the document is ready.

Title: RACISM AND PREJUDICE
Number of words: 17266
Deadline:7th July, 2015
Mode of Payment: Bank Check (payable in advance)
Audience : General Public

A copy of the Racism and prejudice is document is attached, i also attach copy of the conflict management i have with me though its not the final copy it is still under review and it will have a total of 23,515 words or thereabout when the final copy is ready. The deadline for the conflict management document will be one month from the day you receive the final copy.
Kindly email me with the quote per word and the total charges for both documents using 17266words for the first document and 23515 words for the second document. Also attach you C.V for review.

Regards,
Terri Adam,
38 Tychonick Bay,
Winnipeg,Manitoba,
Canada
646-363-6927"

He is definitely a scammer. No client would want to pay such hefty amount in advance. Ha!
Collapse

Lawrence Zhang
Lawrence Zhang
Canada
English to Chinese
same email, same files from same Terri Adam Jun 11, 2015

@Tsogt Gombosuren

Last Sunday, I received exactly same email except 'translating from English to Chinese', he even didn't bother to mention Simplified Chinese or Traditional Chinese until I asked 2nd time. Stopped further communication with him.

scarpent
scarpent  Identity Verified
Portuguese to English
+ ...
same here Jun 11, 2015

I received the same email.

Terri Adam,
38 Tychonick Bay,
Winnipeg,Manitoba,
Canada
646-363-6927

646 is New York area code

Nils Lövgren Boulianne
Nils Lövgren Boulianne
Canada
French to English
Tychonick Bay Jun 12, 2015

Scammer address:

These homes haven't been built yet.

See more
Scammer address:

These homes haven't been built yet.

http://homes.winnipegfreepress.com/house-for-sale/3-Bedroom-House-for-sale-18-Tychonick-Bay-North-East-Winnipeg-Kildonan-Green/id-31189/poh-true/

http://www.century21.ca/Property/MB/R3W_0C3/Winnipeg/138_Tychonick_Bay
Collapse

PaulinaTerp
PaulinaTerp
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
same scammer under the name John Varela Consulting Jun 14, 2015

Request for English to Spanish

1st email

Thanks for your response and availability Below are the details for the first document that is ready for translation.
The second document is still under review and it will be sent to you as soon as its ready but i want quote for the 2 documents as the payment will be issued together to avoid delay when the document is ready.

Deadline:7th July
... See more
Request for English to Spanish

1st email

Thanks for your response and availability Below are the details for the first document that is ready for translation.

Deadline:7th July, 2015
Mode of Payment: Bank Check (payable in advance)
Audience : General Public

A copy of the Racism and prejudice is document is attached, i also attach copy of the conflict management i have with me though its not the final copy it is still under review and it will have a total of 23,515 words or thereabout when the final copy is ready. The deadline for the conflict management document will be one month from the day you receive the final copy.
Kindly email me with the quote per word and the total charges for both documents using 17266words for the first document and 23515 words for the second document. Also attach you C.V for review.

2nd email

I am glad you are very interested in working on my document. I have seen your quotes and also your Resume. Your terms are accepted
I am okay with them and i am ready to award these two documents to you.
However I would like you to sign this agreement attached to this email and return a signed copy to me.
Also i would like you to get back to me with the following information so i can forward it to our financial associate in order to initiate payment and have it mailed to you so you can commence work on the first document and wait till i send you the second document as soon as its ready. I want you to know that the deadline given to you is for the first document and deadline for the second document will be one month from the day you receive the document.

Kindly get back to me with the following information for payment......Full name to be written on the check, Full mailing address where you will like to receive the check, (P.O.BOX not accepted), total charges (for both documents for confirmation purpose), Valid and in use phone number.

I will be waiting to have all the information required and also the signed agreement.
Collapse

Lawrence Zhang
Lawrence Zhang
Canada
English to Chinese
is this another scammer again? Jun 17, 2015

I received an email below 3 times in a day this week:

Dovar Anderson
260 N. Oak Avenue 13
Pasadena Ca 91107
424-243-5018

Good Day,

My name is Dovar Anderson, I am looking for a professional translator to work on my article. I got your contact information from American translator associatio
... See more
I received an email below 3 times in a day this week:

Dovar Anderson
260 N. Oak Avenue 13
Pasadena Ca 91107
424-243-5018

Good Day,

My name is Dovar Anderson, I am looking for a professional translator to work on my article. I got your contact information from American translator association directory and would love to know your cost to translate my article to your area of authority. Would like to know the time frame to translate my work? What is your mode of payment? My email address is [email protected].

Sincerely Yours,

Dovar Anderson.
Collapse

Alessandra S.
Alessandra S.
United States
Local time: 12:13
English to Spanish
John Varela Scam? Jun 22, 2015

I recently received the e-mail below. It looked strange to me, so I checked and I found all your comments.
And I am wondering... if this is a scam, what exactly do they get out of it?
I mean... if they say they are going to pay in advance, and you decide not to work on the documents (and even less send them) until you receive the payment, how can they 'get you'?

--
Greetings to you, I am in search for a qualified translator that can work on my documents for me.
... See more
I recently received the e-mail below. It looked strange to me, so I checked and I found all your comments.
And I am wondering... if this is a scam, what exactly do they get out of it?
I mean... if they say they are going to pay in advance, and you decide not to work on the documents (and even less send them) until you receive the payment, how can they 'get you'?

--
Greetings to you, I am in search for a qualified translator that can work on my documents for me.
Both Articles are meant for seminar to Educate masses on Racism and other issues related to it.
The Articles are meant to be translated from English to Spanish.
Deadline for the Racism and Prejudice Article is 20th July, 2015 while deadline for Conflict Resolution Article will be determined when you receive the document but i am sure you will have enough time for you to translate it.
However, I will like you to confirm your availability so i can provide a copy of the Racism and Prejudice article for you and other information required.
I will be waiting to read back from you.

Regards,
John Varela,
36 W73rd n 10,New York,
NY,10023
646-363-6927
[email protected]
Collapse

Crtranslations
Crtranslations
United States
Thank you for posting! Jul 1, 2015

I received the exact same email from Joh Varela Consulting ( doesn't even bother to switch identity a little, lol)
I'm new at this so I'll check here before I waste my time with scammers.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Racism and Human Trafficking (Michael Horn / John Burroughs)- False demand

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »