Vera Wilson  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:27
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Email Nov 17, 2014

I contacted Eleni Margarita this afternoon and she replied:

"Hello, we have removed all pages with your profile. We apologize for this situation."

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:27
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
She apologized!!! Nov 17, 2014

Vera Wilson wrote:

"Hello, we have removed all pages with your profile. We apologize for this situation."

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Hi Andrea Nov 17, 2014

Hi Andrea,

Andrea Halbritter wrote:

@ Jared Tabor: Do you suggest that we complain about identity theft in our countries?

I'm afraid I cannot give reliable advice along those lines. This site has been taken down. Of course, I will continue to monitor the situation to make sure it stays that way.

Jared

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Hello Ward Nov 17, 2014

Hello Ward,

... this was a serious hack that CAN be prevented. Your security was lax but Proz will not admit it. As I said this is not someone copying and pasting, they were INSIDE your damn servers.

Except for the part about this probably not being a simple case of manual copy and paste, this is incorrect, sorry.

I would like to know EXACTLY what Proz will DO to ensure this does not happen again. The comment: "Steps are being taken" does not cut the mustard here Jared.

I am sure you can appreciate why I will not go into any details regarding existing or future security measures of this type on a public forum, or anywhere, as it would be contrary to maintaining those security measures. I mention this in my post, but it may not be as clear as it could be: scraping of publicly displayed information (which is what happened in this case) can be done by various means, and some means of stopping scraping do exist and are employed where possible by ProZ.com. But some web scraping will still happen. When it does, and when the material gets republished, the focus needs to be on having the republished material removed in as timely a manner as possible.

Jared

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Complain (France, Belgium, Canada) Nov 17, 2014

For those who live in France, Belgium and Canada (and speak French):

http://www.arobase.org/arnaques/porter-plainte.htm

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Local time: 05:27
Portuguese to English
+ ...
So there really is an "Eleni Margarita"?!? What else does she have to say??? Nov 17, 2014

Vera Wilson wrote:

I had assumed "Eleni Margarita" was a scammer's alias; does this mean she really exists? She assured Vera that her profile was removed; will she do that for each and every one of us whose profiles were stolen?

How many thousands/tens of thousands of us had our profiles stolen? I think each person should (a) write her an individual e-mail demanding an explanation, not just a bland apology, and (b) include her e-mail in fraud reports in their respective countries. What's her e-mail address?

I'm still in awe at her chutzpah shown in thinking that an apology "for this situation" is enough....!!!

Andrea Halbritter
France
French to German
+ ...
Not only a simple copy... Nov 17, 2014

Well I consider this a theft of my identity and not only a simple copy of my data. She created a profile which could be contacted by clients. If someone would have contacted my stolen profile would I have got the mail? I am not sure at all!

I'll call the department of cyber criminality in Paris tomorrow and see what they suggest me to do.

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 10:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
As I said earlier Nov 18, 2014

Catherine V. Howard wrote:

Vera Wilson wrote:

I had assumed "Eleni Margarita" was a scammer's alias; does this mean she really exists? She assured Vera that her profile was removed; will she do that for each and every one of us whose profiles were stolen?

The contact information for lingvopoint.com could be completely fictitious, but some of its fields are shared with real people in Cyprus which I find mildly suspicious.

The contact 'phone is +357.24668800 which is a (possibly invented) Cyprus number. This, however, is listed for various domain names as being for a Savvas Lazarides and a Margarita Eleni Voskou. These are real people who are associated with a real A.J.K. Bureau of Consultants Limited in Larnaca, so it may be an actual Cyprus 'phone number. There is also shared address information 33 Porter Road, P.O. Box 3169.

This suggests that lingvopoint may have some link with the A.J.K. group of companies (AJKFUND.COM, AJKBAH.COM, AJKVC.COM, AJKBOC.COM, AJKBEL.COM).

Or they could even be targeting innocent people - but why?

Helle Kaiser-Nielsen
Helle Kaiser-Nielsen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Danish
+ ...
Lingvopoint.com not responding Nov 18, 2014

The website now seems not to be responding, so hopefully they've given up and deleted all stolen information... (not likely, but you never know...)
Helle

Andrea Halbritter
France
French to German
+ ...
Mail from Eleni Margarita Nov 18, 2014

Got this mail of Eleni Margarita today. It's the response of the mail I sent to Digital Oceans a few days ago in order to complain:

"Dear Translator, we have received your complaint. Somebody made a copy of your professional profile and posted it on translator service «Lingvopoint».
We have removed your copied profile.
Because of numerous cases of violation of the website rules, which have resulted in publication of multiple fake accounts on the Lingvopoint se
... See more
Got this mail of Eleni Margarita today. It's the response of the mail I sent to Digital Oceans a few days ago in order to complain:

"Dear Translator, we have received your complaint. Somebody made a copy of your professional profile and posted it on translator service «Lingvopoint».
Because of numerous cases of violation of the website rules, which have resulted in publication of multiple fake accounts on the Lingvopoint service, we are currently performing maintenance of the website to find and delate all copied accounts.

We apologize for this situation."
Collapse

Andrea Bauer
Andrea Bauer  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
Reply from Eleni Margarita Nov 18, 2014

This morning I received this e-mail from lingvopoint:

We have received your complaint

Dear Translator, we have received your complaint. Somebody made a copy of your professional profile and posted it on translator service «Lingvopoint».
Because of numerous cases of violation of the website rules, which have resulted in publication of multiple fake accounts on the Lingvopoint service, we are currently performing mai
... See more
This morning I received this e-mail from lingvopoint:

We have received your complaint

Dear Translator, we have received your complaint. Somebody made a copy of your professional profile and posted it on translator service «Lingvopoint».
Because of numerous cases of violation of the website rules, which have resulted in publication of multiple fake accounts on the Lingvopoint service, we are currently performing maintenance of the website to find and delate all copied accounts.

We apologize for this situation.

Eleni Margarita

So, according to that statement, the website was victim of violation from another part. Or that's what they say...
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
"somebody" made a copy? Nov 18, 2014

well funny...

Andrea Halbritter wrote:

We apologize for this situation."

Andrea Halbritter
France
French to German
+ ...
Response of the Ministry of Interior in Paris Nov 18, 2014

I just called the Ministry of Interior in Paris. The person I had on the phone told me to complain, if possible to do a "plainte regroupée" (with more persons). Maybe the SFT or the DVÜ can do that as well? I think that quite a few of us are members (I am not).

Those who are in France can also relate the facts on:

https://www.internet-signalement.gouv.fr

(
... See more
I just called the Ministry of Interior in Paris. The person I had on the phone told me to complain, if possible to do a "plainte regroupée" (with more persons). Maybe the SFT or the DVÜ can do that as well? I think that quite a few of us are members (I am not).

Those who are in France can also relate the facts on:

https://www.internet-signalement.gouv.fr

(This is not a complaint though.)

I think this would be a good idea to show that we are not that naiv to believe that this website had been a victim of some site violation itself and to be protected if there already have been some other activities with our data or if there will be some more due to the same persons.

PS: Just saw that you do not need to live in France in order to use the site above.

[Modifié le 2014-11-18 14:05 GMT]
Collapse

Carlos González-Rivera, CT
Carlos González-Rivera, CT  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
How did "Eleni Margarita" know I was complaining if I never wrote to her in the first place? Nov 18, 2014

I also got this message from "Eleni Margarita" saying that "they" have received my complaint. I never wrote to that company, although I did complain to the instances suggested on this forum.

Her email address (lingvopoint @ gmail . com) is, of course, relatively anonymous, but it does seem to be a reflection of the fact that her website has been (at least temporarily) taken down.

This truly does smell of scam from a mile away.

Also, I don't think we should
... See more
I also got this message from "Eleni Margarita" saying that "they" have received my complaint. I never wrote to that company, although I did complain to the instances suggested on this forum.

Her email address (lingvopoint @ gmail . com) is, of course, relatively anonymous, but it does seem to be a reflection of the fact that her website has been (at least temporarily) taken down.

This truly does smell of scam from a mile away.

Also, I don't think we should be treating this as a copyright infringement. After all, once we post our picture on any online service (including ProZ), we cease to own copyright for it. I believe this should all be on the lines of identity theft, actually.

All the information we collect on this forum or elsewhere may lead to reveal the identities of the perpetrators, although I suspect that nothing impedes them, or anyone else, from further creating websites where they can sell our services without our intervention or benefit.

Stay vigilant.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do not reply to the email! Nov 18, 2014

In my opinion, the apology email only serves a purpose: to detect what email addresses are working, out of the thousands they must have copied without permission. So my advice is not to respond to the email, and even report it as spam to blacklists.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another unauthorised directory listing - lingvopoint.com

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »