Poland
Local time: 03:52
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Done already Nov 15, 2014

Thomas Frost wrote:

Someone should also file a support request with Proz, but it's enough that one person does it. Who?

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Thank you Nov 15, 2014

@ Thomas: Thank you! Done for Digital Ocean.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:52
Danish to English
+ ...
4th complaint option Nov 15, 2014

I looked up the offending site's IP address 208.166.48.75 on http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-208-166-48-0-1/pft and found

"Organization NephoScale Inc. (NEPHO)"

The abuse contact for that hosting organisation is

[email protected] .

I'll edit my original post to included
... See more
I looked up the offending site's IP address 208.166.48.75 on http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-208-166-48-0-1/pft and found

"Organization NephoScale Inc. (NEPHO)"

The abuse contact for that hosting organisation is

[email protected] .

I'll edit my original post to included that.
Collapse

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
I'm there too Nov 15, 2014

Thanks Chosana for bringing this into our attention!

I'm there with same photo and profile than in Proz. They have put some imaginary rates (interpretation: I'm not an interpreter). Some links don't work at all. They seem to be located in Russia.

It's an illegal use of our image.

I hope we can do something.

[Edited at 2014-11-15 18:08 GMT]

Andrea Halbritter
France
French to German
+ ...
Digital Ocean Nov 15, 2014

I've been contacted by Andrew from Digital Ocean right now. Our complaints have to respect this form. If they dont they can not consider them:

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2009/07/06/sample-dmca-take-down-letter/id=4501/

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:52
German to English
+ ...
I am there too Nov 15, 2014

I have never heard of this site. Outrageous practice.

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Proz Nov 15, 2014

I have filed a ticket to Proz. Next step will be talking to my lawyer. I'm really angry.

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
To translators living in Spain Nov 15, 2014

I'm not sure this copy of our data is a crime, but we can easily report this at any police station following these steps:

1. Go to https://www.gdt.guardiacivil.es/webgdt/pinformar.php (DGT- Delitos telemáticos).

2. Say that you want to report (not only inform).

3. Follow the directions DGT provides to have a copy of the screenshot e-signed as it
... See more
I'm not sure this copy of our data is a crime, but we can easily report this at any police station following these steps:

1. Go to https://www.gdt.guardiacivil.es/webgdt/pinformar.php (DGT- Delitos telemáticos).

2. Say that you want to report (not only inform).

3. Follow the directions DGT provides to have a copy of the screenshot e-signed as it was made by a witness via e-garante.

4. Fill the form.

5. Print the form, add the e-sign document and other you may add, and report at a police station.

I will do it tomorrow and I will keep you informed. I'm really angry.
Collapse

Chosana Thanabhumi
Chosana Thanabhumi  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2010)
German to Thai
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Report abuse: done Nov 15, 2014

Thomas Frost wrote:

Here are the abuse reports I am going to send myself. Anyone can do it. These methods are often effective, as I have found out in the past when some of my articles have been scraped by rogue sites.

1. Complain about copyright infringement to the abuse e-mail address listed for the registrar in Whois: [email protected] .

2. Complain about copyright infringement to the hosting company Digital Ocean on https://www.digitalocean.com/company/contact/#tab_abusetrigger .

3. File a copyright infringement report with Google at https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/dmca-notice?rd=1 .

4. Complain about copyright infringement to the hosting company NephoScale Inc.: [email protected] .

[Edited at 2014-11-15 17:49 GMT]

Thanks, Thomas. I have already done all of the above options.

[Edited at 2014-11-15 19:34 GMT]

Nicole Coesel
Nicole Coesel  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks you for bringing that up Nov 15, 2014

I'm there too with my business name as well as my personal name. The profile is copied from ProZ, the rates are invented.
I'd love to make USD 91 per hour for translation services, but a desired monthly salary of USD 1000? All the rates are completely invented and our photo's, names and profile information are stolen. Plain and simple.

Is there a general ticket we can open with ProZ so those listed on that site can sign up?

Identitity abuse/theft! I've never heard
... See more
I'm there too with my business name as well as my personal name. The profile is copied from ProZ, the rates are invented.
I'd love to make USD 91 per hour for translation services, but a desired monthly salary of USD 1000? All the rates are completely invented and our photo's, names and profile information are stolen. Plain and simple.

Is there a general ticket we can open with ProZ so those listed on that site can sign up?

Identitity abuse/theft! I've never heard of those people and we should handle this by joining forces!
Collapse

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Time for a 'security up-date'? Nov 15, 2014

This the second time in as many weeks that a problem of this kind has been reported in the forum. See: http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/277379-unauthorised_directory_listing.html The final posts in that thread suggests the culprit closed down the offending site. I wonder, however, if lingvopoint mightn't be the reincarnation of that same scam.

There
... See more
This the second time in as many weeks that a problem of this kind has been reported in the forum. See: http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/277379-unauthorised_directory_listing.html The final posts in that thread suggests the culprit closed down the offending site. I wonder, however, if lingvopoint mightn't be the reincarnation of that same scam.

There was a similar 'event' about 3 or 4 years ago, which generated a very long thread about the need for Proz.com to 'do something about it'. I haven't been able find the relevant forum thread, but If I recall correctly, on that occasion some measure of redress was achieved following intervention by site staff.

The simple fact is that it is becoming increasing easy, from an IT point of view - to grab and manipulate data from other people's websites. And it all the easier when a site like this one uses basically the same data processing schemes today as it did when it started, 15 years ago. Data security on the web has moved on since 1999, and it is all too easy for anyone who's reasonably 'web-savvy' to mine data from this site, because the site itself makes it so easy!

It would no doubt be complex and costly for Proz.com to bring its data security measures fully up to date. The good news, however, is that some of the more-obvious weaknesses could be eliminated within the existing infrastructure, or mitigated through the addition of some intelligent monitoring tools.

I won't go into any technical details here - suffice it to say that if anyone from Proz wants to know what I am referring to, they know where to find me (here - not on lingvopoint!).
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Fake Nov 15, 2014

Thankfully my fake profile rates are so ridiculous that it'll never steal work from my real profile.

Terrible practice!

Andrea Halbritter
France
French to German
+ ...
Phone number Nov 15, 2014

On www.nephoscale.com there is a phone number in the USA as well:

USA: 855 637 46 79
from elsewhere: 1 (408) 599-7008

Is this only the hosting company?

[Modifié le 2014-11-15 20:10 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Thomas!! Nov 15, 2014

Thomas Frost wrote:
Here are the abuse reports I am going to send myself. Anyone can do it. These methods are often effective, as I have found out in the past when some of my articles have been scraped by rogue sites.

Thank you Thomas. This is much appreciated!

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:52
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Reviews Nov 15, 2014

My 'page' has a list of reviews for jobs I haven't done. Very disconcerting.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another unauthorised directory listing - lingvopoint.com

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »